Sublime Forum

Additive shift select not working

Hey everyone!

Similar to this:

, the following is not working:
  1. Place a cursor.
  2. Use shift + click to create a selection from cursor to click position.
  3. Place a second cursor somewhere else, using cmd + click.
  4. Try to add to the current selection using shift + click.

What happens:
It uses the first cursor placement as start position for selecting.

What I’d expect:
It should use the most current (in this case, the second) cursor placement to set the selection.
The end point, of course, should be the current position of the click when using shift + click (that’s already the case, though).

I am using build 4126; macOS 10.13.6.

Best wishes,
Shu

0 Likes

Not sure if I understand correctly, but did you try alt+shift?

0 Likes

I guess dragging with middle mouse button and control key pressed would do what you want.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies!
@milkman
Unfortunately, this only results in the second cursor standing still, doing nothing at all.
@deathaxe
While this is similar to what I want to do, unfortunately,

• it’s somewhat different (your suggestion does a box selection, but I need the selection to jump to the next line or lines like the first steps without additive selection (shift + left mouse button) do) and
  • I don’t have a middle mouse button (I’m using a trackpad).
0 Likes

Just some more info: Different feature, but in some cases works as a workaround: Click & drag selecten, then cmd + click & drag a further selection. Granted, not as comfortable, but in some cases, it works.

0 Likes

Screencast is made on Windows, so keys may differ a bit, but it is possible to additive select text by

1. click at first position (begin of first selection)
  2. hold shift and click to the desired end of selection. -> first block selected
  3. hold ctrl key and click to desired begin of next selection
  4. release ctrl and hold down shift while clicking the end of the second selection.

Just hold down ctrl (cmd on Mac?) and shift in turns.

1 Like

@deathaxe
Thanks for the reply! This is exactly what I am trying to do and, after trying this again, following the steps from your video, it does work!
However, - and this is the issue I have been facing, not knowing it would work the other way around - it doesn’t work if further selections are placed before past selections. It only works when placing further selections after past ones. At least when I’m trying to do that on my machine.

0 Likes