Sublime Forum

Adding a path to python

So I am a very very noob to programming. I recently begun the python course on codecademy and wanted to use Sublime Text for coding. Any time I try it says i have to add a path to python, but I have nooo idea how to. Anyone wanna help?

Also I’d appreciate any general tips for coding, beginner stuff etc.? :slightly_smiling:

0 Likes

Also it has something to do with anaconda that I apperently was supposed to download. I don’t know what its for and I dont know if it is necesarry at all. All I know is that I dont have anywhere to run the code I write…

0 Likes

The stuff that comes up when I press ctrl+B

“‘python’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
[Finished in 0.0s with exit code 1]”

0 Likes

Sublime comes with it’s own version of python that it uses internally, but you can’t use it to run arbitrary python code. If you want to write and run your own python code, the first thing you need to do is install python.

It’s not recognized because it’s either not installed or it’s installed but it isn’t in your path. If you haven’t installed python yet, when you do make sure you read everything carefully; the installer gives you the option to update the path for you. If you’ve already installed python and didn’t do that, then add the python install location to your path to get things working for you.

My guess would be that if you don’t know what Anaconda is you can probably get away with just using regular Python (and select a tutorial course that doesn’t do anything Anaconda specific) until you get a little more experience under your belt.

1 Like

I have Windows if that is relevant.
Also, what the shit is a path? xD

0 Likes

The path is the place where your operating system looks to find programs when you give them by name and don’t specifically tell it where they are.

0 Likes

Well, I reinstalled it and added the path option or whatever. Nothing has changed so far. Sorry for being a total and utter noob, by the way

0 Likes

Oh shit, I should say I use python 2.7.12 ?

0 Likes

No, the process is the same regardless of the version you’re using. You may need to restart sublime in order for it to notice a new path or something, though.

0 Likes