Sublime Forum

Add the icons to tabs and the ability to automatically assign them based on regex

The tabs system is bland at the moment - there are no icons and one color… While it isn’t necessary to show the file-type icon, it would be nice to be able to display an icon based on regex… and to have the ability to show more than 1 icon per tab would be beneficial in certain situations…

For example: I am working on a project for a game which has 2 realms - CLIENT and SERVER, or BOTH ie SHARED - for files to be loaded. I made icons for my file-browser ( Directory Opus ) to show the realm of the file ( as my autoloader for the framework I’m writing uses file-name > folder-path to determine where the file is included / sent ) - it’d be helpful to be able to see an icon of the file-realm in the tab-list, especially as everything is hidden when you’ve scrolled to the other end… These icons should display when you start scrolling to the other side ( see the Tab-Scoot feature request ) or for files that are currently readable…

In other cases, being able to define additional icons to files would mean all text could be removed - for example init.lua, sh_init.lua / shared.lua, cl_init.lua are common file-names - they could be replaced by a much smaller icon to represent them and easier to identify ( especially for people with dyslexia ), and other examples are for files that are prefixed with ext_, or ext_meta_, class_, lib_, etc… an additional icon could be used to shorten the name by having the second icon replace the file-name so you’d have a regex search pattern, and a regex replacement so you could search for file-name: $(ext_)(.*)(.lua) and replace with icon: ext_.ico and title: %2 so you can show as much or as little of the title as you want…

0 Likes

it looks like the devs aren’t planning to add support for having icons in the tab bar atm:

0 Likes