Sublime Forum

Actual Vim

This plugin provides vim-like input to a Sublime Text buffer via a hidden vim instance.

It’s really an early beta right now, but the underlying concept works great and implemented features thus far work reasonably well. I’m mostly posting this to gauge interest/thoughts.

github.com/lunixbochs/actualvim

0 Likes

I love this idea, this has serious potential. Keep up with the awesome plugins!

0 Likes

It’s in a somewhat usable state now.

0 Likes

How do I set this up in Sublime? I cloned the repo into my Sublime/Packages/ but none of the commands seems to work

0 Likes

You on Sublime Text 3? Does the “Monitor TTY” command show up in your command panel? Any console output?

0 Likes

There is no Monitor TTY in the Command Palette. This is what I get from the console hastebin.com/yotakiconu.hs

0 Likes

Try again with the latest HEAD. See if the console spits anything out when you open a new view as well.

0 Likes

Pulling in the latest code seemed to do the trick. I have all the functionality of Vim in sublime now! Thanks for your help.

0 Likes

If this get’s ever usable under MS Windows I’ll be the first who installs it^^ :smile:

0 Likes

It might be usable with cygwin vim. I’d need to support a slightly dumber tty.

0 Likes

I will share very soon.

0 Likes

Super excited about this project! I’ve been a Vim user for a while but I like the convenience of Sublime thus my Vim skills have to limited to Vintage mode in Sublime.
I’m a JavaScript developer and just recently attempted using a few different editors other than Sublime. WebStorm, briefly brackets.io and MacVim.
WebStorm; didn’t mind learning some of the settings but find that there’s just too much flicker and slowness.
Brackets; I have a draw towards since there’s a vim plugin vimderbar and I’ve always wanted to contribute to an editor project and its in a language I know, JavaScript!
MacVim; Most recently I spent a bunch of time playing with different package managers (Vundle and Neobundle) and getting a basic setup going and realized I don’t have to do all this troubleshooting in Sublime.

Then I stumbled across this project via thechangelog.com/
It makes me want to learn Python and the Sublime API!

Thanks Ryan! Really want to see Actual Vim prosper and I hope I can make time to contribute.

0 Likes