Sublime Forum

A plugin to replace SidebarEnhancements

I need a simple plugin to replace SidebarEnhancements with. something simple that does not do any sort of tracking and is lighter and less bloated.

Is there something like that out there? Is there anyone interested to build it?

0 Likes

RFC: Default Package Control Channel and Package Telemetry

https://packagecontrol.io/packages/SideBarTools

7 Likes

Looks good to me. Thanks.
SidebarEnhacements gone!

1 Like

Had the same problem, so I build FileManager. It’s an optimized version of SideBarEnhancement. For example, instead of having New Folder and New File, you just have New, and it the path you type in ends with a /, it’ll create a folder instead of a file.

6 Likes

I use AdvancedNewFile via keyboard, as I find the sidebar to be rather slow for interaction with the mouse. Its default configuration is not ideal imo, but there are a lot of screws to fit it to your work flow.

Folders are created recursively for a newly created file, the path can be relative to the project folder or the current view’s directory, you can copy and rename files and there is tab completion.

4 Likes

I agree with you that 2 files[quote=“FichteFoll, post:5, topic:30164”]
Folders are created recursively for a newly created file, the path can be relative to the project folder or the current view’s directory, you can copy and rename files and there is tab completion.
[/quote]

Just like FileManager…

0 Likes

In your readme you say that FileManager was built to “replace SideBarEnhancement and AdvancedNewFile”. What exactly does it do that ANF doesn’t?

0 Likes

First of all FileManager adds commands to the side bar and the context menu. In addition it has additional commands, which are not related to file creation, e.g. reveal folder in explorer, open terminal in the folder, and copy the file path. In addition you can create templates, which will automatically insert if you create the corresponding file type.

2 Likes

Open in Default Application does that and nothing else.

open terminal in the folder

Terminal does that and nothing else.

…

I really think packages would be in better shape if we had less monolithic do-everything-I-think-might-be-useful packages and perhaps a few more small, focused and easily reviewed packages. Lets users cobble together the features they need without having to deal with all the duplication. And there is less code to hide Kite in :wink:

That plus some easy to find readme about how you can add anything you like to the sidebar or elsewhere. Or a plugin to manage menus…

1 Like

That package doesn’t open the folder with the file explorer, but opens the file with the default application.

I prefer a consistent style and naming guide-line for similar features (Command panel entries, Context menu, …) and I don’t think it would be easier to review more packages with less code than one big package. Also I would be to lazy do check how people call the feature. e.g. “Reveal File” or “Open File in Explorer” or “Open File Manager here” or … could be a possible name for this specific one. Hence I might end up writing everything on my own.

0 Likes

Ehm, yeah it does. The default application to open a folder with is the file explorer.

0 Likes

This opens the folder of the view you are currently editing.

0 Likes

Which is this in your current context? I’m probably just not following you…

0 Likes

The command I mentioned opens the containing folder of your current view in the file explorer, hence the default application package does something different. I mean you can’t edit a folder?

0 Likes

Oh, sure, yeah. Open in Default Application will open a folder in explorer/finder if you use it via right-clicking on the folder in the side bar. But there is of course no way to do that from the command palette.

0 Likes

Yeah, that’s a good point. Any way, there is a middle ground to be found here I guess. You don’t really want to have to deal with something the size of SidebarEnhancements just to get “copy file path”, but you also don’t want to deal with a rabble of hard to understand menu entries. Writing packages is easy enough to have choice (or do it yourself) in this area too.

0 Likes

I have additional question.

Do you know any plugin which replicate Cut, Copy and Paste file functionalities from SideBarEnhancements. Example:

1. right click on file in sidebar
  2. choose Copy
  3. right click on other folder in sidebar tree
  4. choose Paste
    and you get file copied to new destination.

There is something similar in FileManager (Duplicate and Move), but require typing path of destination folder which is unacceptable.
SideBarTools also does not have such features to achieve mentioned actions.

Any suggestion?

Cheers!

1 Like