Sublime Forum

4180 is laggy as hell

I’ve never dealt with lag from SublimeText (which is why I switched to it from Atom years ago). Ever since this update though, there’s lag with typing, selecting text, &c. I’ve disabled a few packages that were updated recently, added the hardware_acceleration param to my settings, still lags.

I’m on macOS Sonoma, if that helps.

0 Likes

Does it happen in safe mode?

0 Likes

I decided to downgrade to 4169. Is there a way for me to send something that’d be more helpful for troubleshooting?

0 Likes

The first step to debugging this is figuring out if it’s an issue with Sublime Text or a plugin, which is what running in safe mode will tell us. It might also be helpful to enable fps logging using sublime.log_fps(True) in the console (View > Show Console).

0 Likes

Some users reported disabling hardware accelleration improved situation, which indicates issues with opengl drivers.

0 Likes

I am on macOS Sonoma on macbook 16. I ran into the lag issue with 4180. Tried setting hardware_acceleration to none but the lag continued. Behavior was the UI freezing for about 3 seconds and the progress indicator appeared. I downgraded to 4169 and the lag disappeared. Definitely the build version.

0 Likes

Does it happen in safe mode?

0 Likes

I confirmed it doesn’t happen in safe Mode. To fix the lag I installed 4180 again and then manually disabled all extensions. Restarted Sublime and then only enabled a couple core extensions I need. Seems to work now. Thanks.

Does make me wish there was a disable all non-Sublime extensions for package control. When I get more time I plan to test each extension to identify the culprit.

0 Likes

You can try “Command palette -> Profile Events” command. That can help you identify what (and where) plugins spend most of the CPU time.

Kind of related: I wrote a modified version of this command which adds colors + percentages:

2 Likes

I experienced the same issue before, but it does not happen in safe mode.

By using “Command palette -> Profile Events” command suggested by giampaolo, I find the causes of the lagging.

2 Likes