Sublime Forum

3200 frequently crashing

I think you mean 3.1 (3176)?

Finding a way to reproduce it and/or events that trigger the crash will be the way to get it sorted. That said, I understand why you don’t have time to do that now.

0 Likes

Yeah, I should’ve just said 31xx.

This last time it crashed I wasn’t interacting with it. I went to Sublime Text menu > preferences > Browse Packages. Was in finder looking at the folders when Sublime crashed.

Most of the other times, as I mentioned previously above, it would crash when I click on a file in the folder tree.

The clicking on a file event that would cause a crash would only happen after a significant period of run time. Anywhere from half a day to 2 days.

0 Likes

@andrewyager Just wondering if you have osxfuse installed and are opening mounts in ST. Thanks.

0 Likes

No; have been only working off local storage on git repo’s.

0 Likes

@wbond

Yesterday I rm -rf ~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3, trashed the app in Applications folder, downloaded and installed completely fresh with not a single package, not even package control. I left it running up until right now when it just crashed as soon as I clicked on a file in the folder tree.

I think it’s safe to say at this point that this issue has nothing to do with any package.

Is there any way you could provide me a build that outputs a debug log?

0 Likes

You should be able to run it under lldb and see a backtrace.

Have you tried running 3176 for a week to see if you get any crashes? So far it sounds like you are crashing under all different circumstances, right?

0 Likes

@wbond

3176 was fine for me for the longest time. It wasn’t until I updated to 3200 that this started happening. Upon your suggestion I tried updating to 3206. Happened with that one. Updated to 3207 and also happened with that one. 3207 was the completely clean install.

Just to validate that I’m not totally crazy here, I’m gonna put 3176 back on this computer and run it for a few days.

After that I’ll try setting up 32xx with lldb.

1 Like

+1 on this… The past few days have been getting worse it seems. The only way to restart Sublime Text after initial crash is to restart my MacBook Pro while running 3207.

0 Likes

Have you tried turning of the GPU window buffer an the git integration?

0 Likes

OK - after all that, I think I may now be running with some level of stability on my MBP. My preferences are currently:

{
	"ignored_packages":
	[
		"Vintage"
	],
	"tab_size": 4,
	"translate_tabs_to_spaces": true,
    "gpu_window_buffer": false,
}

and I’m running 3207. I had previously tried with "gpu_window_buffer": false, and not had it make any difference, but I’m wondering if it hadn’t applied properly; or if that was on 3206 instead of 3207 or something.

Git integration is now on and working. Admittedly, I haven’t spent copious hours in Sublime, but I have been moving between my work desk, mobile and home desk with external displays and have not had any noticeable stability problems.

Plugin wise, I’m currently running SublimeLinter (with flake and pep8), PerlTidy, CSSTidy and XML Indenter.

0 Likes

@wbond

I’m going on three days with build 3143 now and no crash. Had 3143 on another computer, so I took that and put it on this one. Including the ~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3 dir.

The facts so far:

1. 32xx builds crash on my computer
  2. The crashes have absolutely nothing to do with packages
  3. “gpu_window_buffer”: false does not fix the issue for me

Both myself and one other guy at work who updated are experiencing this. I told my coworker to add the “gpu_window_buffer”: false to his Preferences.sublime-settings file. He did – I just confirmed that – and he’s also still experiencing the crashes. Everyone else in my office who uses ST is holding off on updating.

Sometime over this coming weekend I’ll try getting lldb setup and I’ll put the latest 32xx build back on my puter. I’m a web nerd, not a native app nerd though, so I may have some questions for you if you’d be willing to help me out with that. Would really appreciate it. I’d like to work with you to get this solved.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Build 3143 is 3.0, whereas 3176 is 3.1 and 3207 is 3.2. There is so much that has changed from 3.0 to 3.2 that it isn’t really useful information.

Have you tried disabling the git integration yet? The GPU window buffer is a workaround for bugs in macOS 10.14.4, the git integration is a new feature since 3.1, so it is possible you are hitting an edge case not found in the dev cycle.

0 Likes

@wbond

It’s useful in that it identifies that there is indeed an issue with 3.2.

The sublime text website specifies that Sublime Text app should work on “(10.7 or later is required)”, but now it seems that this may need to be updated to “10.14.4 with gpu_window_buffer set to false and you may need to disable git integration”.

So I think the question now is: Is it still important for Sublime Text to maintain that backwards compatibility or is time to fork for OSX 10.14.4?

If backwards compatibility is still the goal then nobody should be coming into these forums to get the workarounds to make Sublime Text work on their computers. Am I wrong?

I would think that you’d be more concerned with releasing a stable product especially when you’re charging people $80 for a license. I’ve paid for both ST2 and the ST3 upgrade.

So again, I’m interested in helping you get this solved. Will you help me help you?

0 Likes

Honestly, there are bugs with every release we’ve ever made, just look at the bug tracker. There are enough OS and hardware configurations that we aren’t every going to be crash free. Our crash reporter receives crashes continuously, and we use that information to identify likely bugs. Some are issues like the user’s machine running out of memory. Some are people trying to modify the binary to pirate it and flipping the wrong bytes.

We unfortunately have to work around the fact that even companies as big as Apple ship serious bugs. We’ve had a notice on the forum about this, and I’ve been very proactive in responding to users with crashes to help identify the issue. From what I can tell, only a small percentage of users are hit by the 10.14.4 bug. For instance, none of us at Sublime HQ have ever hit it without buying hardware that someone identified caused their version to crash.

Compiling Sublime Text with a newer SDK and using APIs only introduced in newer builds of macOS won’t fix the issues with Apple’s extremely crash-prone release.

We have a mitigation in place that will be part of the next dev build to completely disable NSOpenGLView when running on 10.14.4. However, this appears to be completely tangental to the issues you are seeing.

I think your best bet in helping me help you is to try 3207 with the git integration disabled. I am wondering if something about MacFuse is causing issues with mmaping files. Once we’ve established what seems to be causing the issue, then I will have a shot at reproducing and then fixing it.

0 Likes

Alright, I’m back on 3207. My OSX version is still 10.14.3 and I have no plans to update that yet.

In my Preferences.sublime-settings file I’ve added:

"show_git_status": false,
"mini_diff": false

Anything else I’m missing?

0 Likes

Just chiming in my +1 here. I also ran 3176 for sooo long perfectly. The upgrade to 3200 made Sublime unusable. CPU usage was tapping out my system, and every so often I just could not Command+Tab back to Sublime. The windows were inaccessible. I had to force quit Sublime.

Since Sublime became unusable, I’ve had to look for another editor, which is unfortunate; I’ve been a happy paying customer since Sublime 2. I only realized recently that I could downgrade. I’ve since downgrade back to build 3176, and everything is back to normal. However, the damage is done; I’m now splitting my workflow between 2 editors :sweat_smile:

0 Likes

The best way to help with situations like this is to report the issue and include as much info as possible, ideally a way to reproduce if possible. We spend quite a bit of time working on stability, but one thing we won’t ever be able to do is cover all different OS/software/hardware configurations. If we can identify what is causing an issue, we can almost always find a way to prevent a crash, except maybe if your machine is out of memory. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No, the show_git_status is all you need to disable the git integration. Just be sure to restart Sublime Text after changing the setting. The mini_diff is the gutter calculations of inserted/modified/removed regions in a document.

On a side note, if you haven’t seen it before, our docs (https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/) include a page about the new Git Integration.

0 Likes

If it helps, I’ve updated to the new 3207 build, but I still have problems. The CPU spiking has stopped, so that’s good. But the Sublime window is unresponsive. I can’t click on tabs, or the current document. I can’t click on the file listing on the left. There is no close, minimize, or maximize buttons on the top right (I’m on Mac). In fact, there is no top title bar. Closing and re-opening sublime is the only way to restore behavior. This problematic UI behavior existed in build 3200 as well.

0 Likes

Please create an issue - https://github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues. There is a template of the sort of info we could use. In your case, screenshots would be useful also.

Checking to see if the issues persist with a clean install would be most helpful also - https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/revert.html.

0 Likes