Sublime Forum

32 or 64 bit version ST2?

I have Windows 7 x64. What version of Sublime Text 2 is better to use? Are there any disadvantages to using ST2 x64 compared to 32 bit?

Why I ask? for example Total Commander is better to use a 32-bit even on x64 OS since on the TC x64 version there is an incompatibility with some plugins.

0 Likes

I’m not aware of any disadvantages, and the advantages are the same for all 32 vs 64 bit software. :smile:

64bits environments are much, much better, faster, and they usually support 32bit software as well so no worries there.

You can read up on the subject here:
lifehacker.com/5431284/the-lifeh … ng-systems

Does this answer your question?

0 Likes

The only difference in the bits here might be the size of a file you can open. For example some editors in 32bit may only be able to edit a 4GB file at once (or some insanely large size of a file for text) while 64bit can handle much larger file-sizes without worry (except speed of course.)

Since you’re on 64bit, go with 64. There are no known compatibility issues here that I know of since all the plugins are written in Python on top of ST and ST is written well enough so there aren’t any issues between versions.

0 Likes