Sublime Forum

20090214 Beta

20090214 has some rudimentary project support, accessible via the new Project menu. Project file format details are available at http://www.sublimetext.com/docs/projects.

The only exposed functionality from the project system is the ability to quickly open a file in the project, via Ctrl+P. There are a few other features I want to add to projects:

• Per-project Build System setting.

• Make the quick panel filtering smarter, rather than the current simple substring match.

• Change the quick panel rendering, to de-emphasise the directory portion of file names.

I’m interested to hear how the current project functionality meets everyone’s needs, and what other functionality, apart from the above, is important for your work flow.

I’m not a big fan of the typical tree-view-on-the-left display of the project contents, it’s fairly wasteful of space, and encourages using the mouse to select a file.

0 Likes

delight!!!

i’m will add comments after some usage.

0 Likes

longer response coming, but wanted to note;

• frst up, this looks very useful. Thanks

• while I remember, the file-sorting in the popup window should probably be natural order. It’s currently case-sensitive, and should be insensitive.

-I’d love the ability to pop up that window to choose from my own selection of strings. So, f’rinstance, I have a document compiler, and I’d like to pop up a chooser for the output format, like [html;functional specification;novel;screenplay;fiction manuscript]

• I like the minimal nature of it, and appreciate that it doesn’t take up screen real-estate. I’d probably disable it if it were an extra panel.
0 Likes

First impressions are very positive. I was able to leave Komodo Edit with it’s project system and work in Sublime. Project quick panel is very useful, and I second SteveCooperOrg in it’s usage with other information. Please add similar panel with list of opened files, for quick switching between them. I like to work in Sublime fullscreen, even without tabs, and such panel would be very helpful. Another request: please increase output panel’s height or add option to control it. Currently it’s rather low and one needs to scroll output too much.

0 Likes

This is indeed very functional. I like ist very much.
I’m glad I could reuse my old project files.
And I’m excitet that the ctags plugin now uses the overlay without any modification.

Many thanks

0 Likes

The file selection method is available for use by plugins, it’s replaced the quick panel, see http://www.sublimetext.com/docs/api-reference#sublime.Window. An example of its usage is available in the Default/Select File.py plugin.

You can use Ctrl+Shift+O to select between open files, and Ctrl+Shift+Alt+O to open a file in the current directory.

0 Likes

Thanks, Jon. Excellent work.

Also, plain old Ctrl+O pops up the open file dialog with the current directory selected.

0 Likes

You can edit control.font.face and control.highlight.font.face, in Default.sublime-theme, to change the font used in the quick panel.

0 Likes

comments:

• project quickpanel should support regex (or wildcard) for more complex search
  • page up/down should be supported (like arrow keys up/down are)
  • should be an option to reload project files (if files have been added or removed), atm i need to restart sublime
  • asynchronous project loading, so it won’t hang sublime when i open a really big project

and, just a reminder :smile: i would love to have sticky search marks

cheers!

0 Likes

20090217 implements many of the suggestions in this thread - thanks for the feedback.

The new filtering is different in two main ways:

• Words separated by spaces are treated as multiple, subsequent queries. For example, “ham wich” is handled as a substring match for ham, followed by a substring match for wich, so it’ll match “ham sandwich.txt”.

• Upper case characters are interpreted as abbreviations, so TBV will match text_buffer_view.h, TextBufferView.h, and text buffer view.h. Directory names are ignored when searching for abbreviation matches.

0 Likes

woooow - so fast!

one comment: jon, you added ‘bolding’ the typed string where it appear on the filter view, this is a good idea. but… i don’t know if it only me, but something is unclear to read there… another issue with it, is when using mono spaced font for that menu (as i did), bolding parts of it make it a mess (mono spaced support of bold is not too good).

but overall the release is superb!

edit: loved the abbreviations idea

0 Likes

vim: when you say unclear, do you mean hard to read, or it’s hard to tell the bolded text apart from the plain text? If it’s the former, a screenshot would help me see what’s going on.

0 Likes

@jon here is a screen shot when using Bitstream Vera Sans Mono 10 font, maybe highlighting and not bolding can avoid this. but, anyway i can manage with the default Tahoma font, so this is no bigi.

@sublimator, i’ll try the font u suggested

one more comment regarding the way you filter, the way it is done now, if i put few strings in the filter line, each ‘stills’ the characters it matched, so for example look at the screen shot, if i type ‘space’ followed by wdma it won’t match nothing, because the ‘W’ stole this word already. it seems more appropriate if the filter terms could overlap. i hope i am clear enough.

0 Likes

All these new changes have left me giddy and breathless. Great work!

My only wish now regarding the new project feature and interface:

A way of seeing in the interface which project you are currently using, and perhaps automatically switching between them based on the path of the file you have open.

I usually work on three or four projects at a time and it’s a pain to open a new project if I only need to work on a few files in that particular project. Or maybe I’m missing something? Is there a way of streamlining this already?

0 Likes

i also noticed that on the project filter the order of space-separated-terms is important. for example, if the wished file is FooBar, and there are many Bar files, the first term poped to my head was Bar, but i get a big list, so i type space followed by Foo… it doesn’t work. i find it annoying.

0 Likes

Due to popular demand, space separated terms are now order independent, and may overlap, in 20090219.

otaku888: There’s no easy way to switch between projects atm, but if you’re keen, you can make a plugin that shows your projects in a quick panel, passing the results to the openProject command.

0 Likes

Unfortunately my skills are a bit lacking in that respect. But thanks for the tip, and it is of course a blessing to have any project support at all. It’s making the task of hunting down the right files a lot quicker.

0 Likes