Sublime Forum

Is there a way to revert back to old GUI style?

Due to my eyesight (clearly not a UI issue, its my eyes), the new UI has grey on grey for the folders and files, its hard to see.

Also the bottom bar became grey/blue with black/grey text on it, its very hard for my eyes to see whats displayed.

Again, this is not a UI/UX issues, the problem is my eyes.

Is there a way to revert back to the old GUI style?

0 Likes

Try changing the theme and the problem should go away.

0 Likes

Thanks but I only see default and adaptive? Guess I need to copy over the theme from the “older” sublime text 3?

0 Likes

Have a look over at packagecontrol.io. There’s plenty of them.

Note that you need to install package control first (search for Install Package Control in the command palette), and then you’ll be able to install a package from the command palette too.

0 Likes

I have no complains about my eyesight but I find new light GUI extremely unreadable.

The workaround I found:

1. Download portable ST2 as a legacy theme donor.
  2. In ST2 goto Preferences/Browse Packages....
  3. Copy folder Theme - Default into ST3’s Preferences/Browse Packages... location.

For the old color schemes install “Color Scheme - Legacy” package. Maybe it’s installed out of the box - impossible to say because list packages never lists it. To make old schemes available for selection add "show_legacy_color_schemes": true, to settings. Which is mentioned here but not in the package readme.

0 Likes

Read this: How can I revert to the old default UI theme?

0 Likes

@user2348573, I guess sarcasm maybe hard to catch online :slight_smile:

@gepd, thanks looks like a good fix, i will try later.

0 Likes

Just to give my feedback as well.
I have a couple of days that updated to build 3143 on my Linux box.

I have the same problems with the colors of the new GUI and I don’t think its my eyes.
I had created my custom color theme and used it happily for last 2 years I think.
After the upgrade the background color of my theme seems more light (maybe due to contrast to the tabs and the rest of the system).
The filenames in tabs seem less clear than before, don’t know if it’s their color or the font. I experimented with various themes but I can’t get the previous visual situation with which I was totally satisfied.
One of the reasons I use sublime text is also its GUI and visual style.

With build 3143, in my opinion, there is a regression on that front.
I should have a very easy way to be able to restore the previous state and change log should state it.

Thanks for listening.
BTW, I did see the other comments and links on how to resolve it and will try as soon as I find some time…but it’s the first time in years I felt I had a serious regression in sublime text usage.

1 Like

Indeed - I don’t notice sarcasm in your posts even after you calling it out.

0 Likes

I don’t think we are planning on officially supporting it, but here is a simple way to get the old, unsupported theme:

1. If Package Control is not installed, open the command palette and type “Install Package Control”
  2. Run “Install Package” from the command pallete
  3. Select “Theme - Retina”
  4. Use the “Select Theme” command from the command palette to install it
2 Likes

@wbond

Thanks very much! installing Retina theme did it. I think I have my previous good experience back now :slight_smile:

I plan to comment with more details about the (lack of) usability of the new style, maybe tomorrow.

0 Likes

Theme - Legacy

0 Likes

Thank you for this!

It also solves another problem where ctrl-alt-click in the tree doesn’t collapse/expand all.

0 Likes