Sublime Forum

Window not appearing on start

I’m using build 2049 on Mac OS X Mojave, but this was also a problem with the prior build.

When Sublime Merge starts, it does two things that are strange:

1. its menu appears on both of my monitors (no, my monitors are not mirrored)
  2. the Window menu shows there is 1 window and it’s checked in the list but no window appears anywhere on either monitor (all I have is two menus)

Re-selecting the #1 window from the Window menu does nothing. The only way I’ve found to work around this is to request a new window (cmd+n), which then shows windows #1 plus a new tab/window ready for window #2 and then immediately close the latter, at which point I can use the real #1 window.

0 Likes

Did you perhaps move the window to another desktop/workspace? In recent updates windows are restored to the workspace they were on.

0 Likes

Interesting idea but no, I don’t ever recall using this app in any Mac Space. Certainly not deliberately, anyway.

This has happened to me twice and both times it was with the first execution of a downloaded update to Sublime Merge. Once I fix it by cmd+n and closing window #2, it never occurs again (well, until the next time I upgrade Sublime Merge, it seems).

0 Likes

Based off of that, it’s potentially related to the auto-shown changelog window. I’d be curious what is shown if you enter into Show Application Windows (or even Mission Control itself) when you see this behavior. Also try Cmd+tilde, the changelog may be behind the first window (and stealing focus somehow)

I usually only work with a single monitor, but I think each screen gets its own space on macOS, so spaces could be a partial cause.

0 Likes

Sounds compelling. Wonder if I download the previous binary and then run it, allow it to upgrade, I will be able to repro the problem. I don’t immediately see options to download previous versions but will look around.

0 Likes

All the old URLs are still valid, you can manually change the version number in the URL to download whichever version you want.

1 Like

OK I downloaded https://download.sublimetext.com/sublime_merge_build_2047_mac.zip, unzipped, and ran it natively from the Downloads folder. The app started up without the changelog dialog, without a visible repo window, but with two menus (one per monitor). I don’t currently have any Spaces so can’t switch to a different Space (hence the missing window is not in a different Space). Neither cmd+` nor cmd+~ do do anything of consequence (no visible change).

When I explicitly request the changelog via the menus, the 2nd menu disappears from the 2nd monitor and now I am left with one menu. The repo window still does not appear.

If I use Show All Windows from the docked Sublime Merge app icon (or cmd+down-arrow) then the repo window does appear. So, I have no (additional) spaces but Sublime Merge does have a repo window. I just can’t make the window visible on any desktop, unless I go through the aforementioned new window process.

None of the following do anything useful in this scenario: Window > Zoom, Window > Bring All to Front, Window > Arrange in Front, or Window > the-only-listed-repo-window.

Mission Control shows the window on Desktop 2 (along with 2 other windows from other apps) but when exiting Mission Control, only the two non-Sublime Merge windows remain on desktop 2. The Sublime Merge window appears to travel to a location bottom-left of desktop 2, which is where desktop 1 is but the window is not visible on either desktop.

Maybe this is just a Mac thing and I don’t understand how windows behave.

0 Likes

Can confirm I’m running into the same thing. In order to see the window I have to select “Zoom” from the “Window” menu.

This issue only manifests if I have secondary mission control spaces and it’s really inconsistent. Maybe 1 in 4 times of launching sublime the window will show.

If I have no extra spaces, then the window shows up on launch every time, no issue.

0 Likes

No windows visible at launch - MacOS

It also appears to be a weird combo of which active monitor I’m launching sublime on.

If I’m active on my primary monitor and I launch sublime, then the window usually doesn’t appear. If I’m active on the second monitor, then the window appears every time.

This happens regardless if I have any spaces or not.

I launch sublime from butler, but same thing happens if I launch from spotlight.

I just ran into this issue because I just upgraded to 4.

0 Likes

Same, encountered on upgrading to 4 with mac. Ty for the zoom tip, saving me some sanity with at least a workaround.

0 Likes

We’ve got a fix for this in the works. Until that’s deployed you can disable the "remember_workspace" setting as a workaround.

0 Likes