Sublime Forum

Weird NULs can not be deleted

Hello all,

I am using Sublime 3114 and when I write a file and save it continuously, then at some random point a few NULs appear at the end of the test in the file.
For me, it is unpossible to delete these NULs. When I delete them and click “save” again, then the same NULs are there again.
Can someone help me with this?

Best regands

0 Likes

have you tried:

• using the latest version of ST3
  • disabling all your third-party packages to see if that makes a difference

?

0 Likes

I don’t know what you mean with third-party packages, but i will try it with latest ST3

0 Likes

a third-party package is any package you have installed, either through Package Control or manually (including Package Control), that did not ship with ST3

0 Likes

Okay, now I am having ST3126, but the problem is still there.
well, I only downloaded and installed ST3126, nothing more, so I think I do not have any third-party packet

0 Likes

Your sublime settings are stored in a common folder in your user directory, so they will persist between installed versions.

To be absolutely sure (and you’re using windows) try the Portable version; it uses settings from inside it’s own directory, so it would ignore packages that are installed.

1 Like

re-installing or upgrading ST doesn’t wipe your packages or preferences. See https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/revert.html

further questions:

• are you saving to a file on your local filesystem?
  • what operating system are you using?
  • can you share exact reproduction steps?
0 Likes

i save the files into my local filesystem, yes.
I am using OS X 10.9.5

I open a new file, store it anywhere, write and write and continuously save the changes. and then at some point after the saving, at the end of the text-file NULs appear. If i delete them, then they are gone, but as soon as I save again, the same NULs appear. So in summary, I can not delete them. Sometimes they are get more and more. E.g. 10 NULs are there, I delete them, they are gone, then I save the file again and then 15NULs are at the end of the file (numbers are only example).

0 Likes

I’ve only heard of similar issues when using OSX and saving onto a SMB share:

does changing the value of atomic_save in your user preferences make any difference?

// Save via writing to an alternate file, and then renaming it over the
// original file.
"atomic_save": false,
2 Likes

Hi,

at a first look, it seems that changing the value of “atomic_save” has solved the issue.
Thanks a lot and if it does not work then I will write here again.

1 Like

Hi,

no it does not change anything.
It is now as described in the quoted article.
The NULs are gone and as soon as I reopen the window, they are back again.
Sucks!

0 Likes

Hello,

I have the same problem… Having this problem for a few months now. Can’t use sublime text anymore, switched to Atom until this problem is fixed.

0 Likes

Hey,

I am trying to switch from Dreamweaver but I am getting this error on files and its really frustrating, I am mounting external FTP drives via ForkLift and editing them ‘directly’ each time i save, close and reopen i get a bunch of ‘NUL’ added to the end of the file.

I have tested editing the files via Dreamweaver and it does not replicate this (editing the files from ForkLift).

Is there a solution to this as its kind of a killer, i have googled it but it only seems to be people asking for help and no real solution

any help would be really appreciated

0 Likes