Sublime Forum

Use ST as a "tail" alternative

I have ST open with “live” logs all the time. And usually I just have to click the tab and it will refresh. Which is cool.

But it would be awesome if we could turn on a “tail” mode and see it live scroll. Especially us Windows users.

cbmeeks

1 Like

I think this should be possible using (writing) a plugin.

The plugin will allow you to add the feature for each view. So inside a view call the command palette and activate “tail”.
After x seconds all views will be checked for this option and if it’s true, they will be “reverted”. So loaded from file system again.

0 Likes

Hi folks,

you might want to have a look at github.com/vifo/SublimeTail. Right now, it is in alpha stage (so some restrictions apply and installation has to be done manually either via git or ZIP from the devel branch), but basic functionality is already implemented and tested.

Cheers,
vifo.

0 Likes

I had asked Jon a while ago (*and he did it) to make the screen view stay in the same position when refreshing the file. It is very useful to me because often I do not append to my files, I re-write and need to see the changes, or where the change occured.
So I guess both staying and scrolling should be options! (although I think other users must have asked for a window to notify on file refresh, which completely messes with this!!)

0 Likes

@sfranky: you may want to try this awesome plugin: github.com/SublimeText/BufferScroll

:ugeek:

0 Likes

SublimeTail is great idea, but now, unfortunately, package have some bugs and issue tracker was closed :pensive:. Thanks.

0 Likes

I fix SublimeTail problem, now plugin successful work for me.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Hi,

Has this idea already completely failed?
At this moment I can’t find any working plugin that provides this functionality.
Is this functionality so difficult to implement in the core of the editor?

Thanks.

0 Likes