Sublime Forum

Upgrade supposedly succeeds, but Sublime still at Version 2

I’m on Linux Mint 17.2, and have loved using Sublime 2 for a few years. Just tried to upgrade to Version 3 (stable). Used the instructions for apt on your “Linux Package Manger Repositories” page. The apt instructions seemed to work flawlessly, with no apparent errors! Just one problem: When I bring up Sublime, it’s still Version 2.

Poking around elsewhere on the net, I found that these instructions supposedly only work for Ubuntu 16 – but Mint 17.2 is still on Ubuntu 14. Any advice would be appreciated.

0 Likes

maybe you have ST2 and 3 installed, and launching v2. how are you launching Sublime? subl from the command line?

0 Likes

I was launching from the mint desktop menu. Launching subl from the command line, I still get ST2. It’s in /opt/sublime_text/sublime_text. If ST3 is also installed, where would I find it?

0 Likes

I solved the problem, thanks to the Ubuntu instructions at Ubuntu Updates. The Ubuntu instructions are similar to those on the SublimeText website, except that instead of saying “apt-get install sublime-text”, Ubuntu uses (counterintuitively) “apt-get install sublime-text-installer”. This command causes Sublime Text 2 to be uninstalled first.

0 Likes

You have non-official sources for Sublime Text. We’ve never had a package named sublime-text-installer, and we never had a repository for Sublime Text 2.

Please remove third-party sources for Sublime Text (we’ve seen issues with crashing related to them), and install via the instructions at http://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/linux_repositories.html.

0 Likes

Thank you for warning me that Ubuntu Updates is an unofficial source, and that it might cause me problems. However, the fact that Sublime’s official instructions didn’t work for me is exactly why I wrote my original post in the first place. If you could respond to the problem stated in my original post, that would help me a lot.

0 Likes

Perhaps there was some weird interplay between the official sources and the one that you were using at the time? Do the official instructions work if you remove all of the other non-official sources first?

0 Likes

I would deinstall Sublime Text 2 and Sublime Text 3 from your machine. How to deinstall really depends on how you originally installed it. This should result in there being no folder named /opt/sublime_text, or /opt/sublime_text_3. Confirm that Sublime Text doesn’t show in your launcher. If it does, you’ll need to figure out where on your machine the .desktop files are stored, and make sure there is no other evidence of Sublime Text being installed, other than /home/yourname/.config/sublime-text-3/ being present. That folder contains your user-specific configuration and packages.

Once everything is purged, use the official sources.

0 Likes

Thank you for getting me to investigate further. Now that I’ve done so, I see that the joke is on me! First of all, I had originally been running Build 3103, which I’d installed using Mint’s Synaptic Package Manager. Since this Build was from 2/16, I somehow assumed it must be Sublime Text Version 2. (The fact that “Help … About Sublime Text” doesn’t tell what version of Sublime it is wasn’t useful.) I now see that this Build is apparently from Version 3 all along.

Secondly, I blasted my installed Sublime Text and any suspicious-looking repositories using Synaptic Package Manager, and then used Sublime’s official instructions for apt. They worked perfectly … and installed Build 3103 – just what I’d had before I started! I had expected the official instructions to install Build 3176, or at least something more recent than what I already had.

My belief now is that Mint 17.2 is perfectly happy to install Sublime Text, but only the build that it has already blessed. So I’m thinking to give up on this attempt to upgrade Sublime Text until later this year when I hope to upgrade to Mint Version 19.

0 Likes

This indicates you are using a third-party source for Sublime Text. The first version we ever made available via a package repository was 3127. Build 3103 was available as a .deb or .tar.bz2.

I don’t believe there exists a blessed package repository that includes build 3103. We never had a repository back then, and none of the distributions have blessed, nor could, bless a package repository for Sublime Text.

I think you still have a rogue apt repository, maybe a ppa from webupd8 or something like that?

0 Likes

Responding to your 5/29 2:26 post: I didn’t see this post until I’d posted at 2:57. However, it turns out that I had done what you’d suggested anyway, so that my machine had no trace of Sublime or its repositories before I did a clean install using the official instructions for apt.

Responding to your 5/29 3:05 post: OK, mystery solved! I think we’re both right. Examining the contents of my file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list, I find that the first two lines are:

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com rafaela main upstream import  
  deb http://extra.linuxmint.com rafaela main

The second line references 13 packages such as dropbox, google earth, virtualbox, (most of which I use) and, yes, sublime-text version 3103! See http://extra.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Rafaela

So I’m thinking that apt is picking up sublime from there, regardless of anything else we do. Are the official package repositories in linuxmint.com a “rogue apt repository”?

Thanks so much for your persistence. I’ve learned a lot.

Final question: Is there a reasonable way for me to install Build 3176 without hacking my system? Would it be safe for me to do so? At this point, I’m also OK with leaving things as they are for now.

0 Likes

I know this is an older post, but check out my post here for instructions on how to avoid the mint repository version and always prefer the official version of the sublime-text update (regardless of weird versioning schemes, outdated versions, etc.):

0 Likes