Sublime Forum

Unofficial Flatpak repository

Hello,
I have made my personal Flatpak repository for Sublime Text. Would it be ok for me to share it publicly? If so, I’ll post the links here.

0 Likes

Sublime text 3 flatpak

what’s a Flatpak repository? :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Flatpak is a software distribution platform for Linux based systems. To quote “Flatpak is the next-generation technology for building and installing desktop applications. It has the power to revolutionize the Linux desktop ecosystem.” For more info you can check flatpak.org.

0 Likes

I think some people are hosting Fedora packages and linking to them here, so it shouldn’t be a problem

0 Likes

OK,
so if anybody is interested, here is the GitHub project and here is the repository manual and info. If you have any further questions or problems feel free to contact me.

0 Likes

It seems there is a Flatpak of Sublime Text.

I wish someone would create another for Sublime Merge.

0 Likes

Are none of the official repositories compatible with your distribution, or is there another reason you are interested in a flatpak?

0 Likes

I really like the concept of Flatpak that software is running in a sandbox and its dependencies are independent of the OS.
Since I use Sublime Text from there and enjoy it, I’d be happy to have Sublime Merge available as a Flatpak as well.

It will be great if you make an official Flatpak fro your products.

0 Likes

Unfortunately I think we’ve already seen issues related to this, even though we don’t distribute flatpak nor snap formats. I know an unofficial version of one of those was crashing pretty regularly because the system messed with the rpath in the executable. It also broke signing of the executable.

In terms of sandboxing, when I spoke with someone from Canonical about a snap, they indicated we’d have to run in “classic” mode, which removes the sandbox, otherwise users wouldn’t be able to edit files on the filesystem, or make network requests for Package Control. Things may have changed since then, I don’t know.

In terms of dependencies, I believe we only rely on libpng and gtk, so there shouldn’t really much impact on your system, since many pieces of software using libpng.

1 Like

I haven’t tried Snap as I prefer open source and community driven project like Flatpak.

I think in Flatpak you can define what the program can do outside the Sandbox and if it well defined all work as needed.

Anyhow, it seems Flatpak is gaining popularity and many Distributions are embracing it and integrate it into their packages.
So once you offer Flatpak it means there is no need for a special PPA or anything like that from the user point of view.

0 Likes