Sublime Forum

Unlimited upgrades

Hi,

I have no problem to pay for such an amazing editor like Sublime Text, but I don’t like to pay again all 1 or 2 years. Are you planning some kind of “Unlimited upgrades”-License such as UltraEdit where you can select a “Unlimited upgrades” license (Licetime License) for a higher value?

kAir

1 Like

License for Sublime Text 3 is not limited by time.

0 Likes

I know… but will it be valid for Sublime Text 4…? I don’t think that Version 4 will be released very soon, but I personal like the feeling to get all future updates for free.

0 Likes

It will be new product so you can’t expect to buy license for all future possible software created by SublimeText creator.
It’s like buying Quake 1 and expecting to get 2,3,4 for free.

0 Likes

Why not… just have a look to UltraEdit, there it’s possible to get all future updates for free if you spent 400 % more for a “Unlimited upgrades”-License.
I bought a UltraEdit Unlimeted upgrade license 2011. Since that time I get all major releases of UltraEdit for free.
But now, I’m with SublimeText in love and want to use it for a long time…

1 Like

I bought my ST2 license in 2011 and ST3 still hasn’t been released, so in the end I have/will have had 5-6 years of ST2 and ST3 beta usage…I think I’ve got my money’s worth out of the license. I am okay paying for an upgrade.

4 Likes

Still you get only upgrades for UltraEdit whenever company responsible for UltraEdit releases new product you don’t get it.
It’s the same way with Sublime Text 3. You buy it and get any updates for it whenever those are released.

0 Likes

Developers deserve to be paid for their hard work. I don’t see how the model “pay once, get all upgrades forever” is sustainable and am always leery of buying software that works that way.

3 Likes

Don’t blame me… I like Sublime Text so I will also pay for future updates! :wink:

0 Likes

You want to pay 400% more now for Sublime Text 3, when Sublime Text 4, 5 & 6 are 20 or 30 years away, if ever, at the rate development has been happening on 3? That makes perfect sense.

Very few other apps have this kind of license. Be happy this isn’t a subscription model like the Adobe suite of products, or Office. $70 every 5 years or so for your main workhorse is perfectly acceptable.

2 Likes

Same here, at the current speed of development there is just no use to such a license type. Still running my 2012 purchase of ST2… there isn’t even a way yet for me to throw money again at SublimeHQ for ST3! They have a very consumer-friendly beta program.

0 Likes