Sublime Forum

Ultra wide editing mode, multiple columns setup similar to a reading view, is this possible?

I’ve got an ultra wide monitor and I don’t have the capability to flip it to vertical and I am wondering if there is a way to setup sublime so I have multiple columns where everything just cascades from left to right?

0 Likes

Sublime lets you split the window into any number of panes that you want, referred to as groups

The items from the View > Layout menu let you set up a few different layouts, including four columns. You can also use something like the Origami package to make custom layouts.

2 Likes

I guess one caveat is that, although its easy to have one file open in multiple panes/columns, each view isn’t automatically “scroll-synced” like a reader mode would be, and you’d see the same file name multiple times - i.e. one tab for each pane.

0 Likes

Indeed; in reading back the original question, I see that I missed an important bit of the original question. :blush:

0 Likes

Yeah the multiple windows with the same file open doesn’t yield me what I’m looking for but thanks for the suggestion. I don’t know if any editors around support this. I’d sure love it though if Sublime did/would!

0 Likes

I feel like it should be possible with a plugin

0 Likes

Maybe I should attempt to write one… I’ve never tried such a thing!

0 Likes

Looks like at some point there was a plugin with this feature but I can’t find it any longer. Follow-mode for Sublime? . It was called BufferScroll which implemented a follow mode. I’m still kinda shocked this isn’t a typical text editing feature.

0 Likes

0 Likes