Sublime Forum

The missing basic functionality thread

I agree about the first-class VCS plugins and other features, however I feel that they would be best solved by having a proper UI API in Sublime. Icons, menus, GUIs, maybe even windows and HTML views. If all that was supported properly, anyone could build a “first-class” Git plugin, SFTP plugin etc. Right now, it’s just not possible to integrate with Sublime in a nice, native way.

5 Likes

oh, my goodness what a bogus thread! So bogus in fact, I feel most tempted to use harsh language about it. If “this is not meant to be a rant”, quit ranting! It’s depressing. Basic features, my donkey!

I completely agree with ExoticGel:

@nfantone, who are you to judge “what inspires him”? Call you apathetic? alright I will ! And so what, even if the updates are there just to incite people to buy a license, a man has to eat. Surely the less jps or whoever has to worry about money the freer he is to work on features for Sublime.
Personally I greatly appreciate the frequent updates either way, even if they are just small adjustments… They let us know Sublime lives, even if it grows only slowly at times.

As for comparisons to Atom, LightTable, VSCode, Brackets, etc. they are all moot!! Even if they’re “still under heavy development”, they’ll never measure up to SublimeText, because they’re all BROWSERS!! with features written in JavaScript, and browsers are slow, there is no way around it. Even in a million years javascript in a browser will still be slower and far more memory hogging than something written in a native language.

Next time you think about starting a bogus thread and you’re unsure whether it will come off as ranting or whining, pause for a second… then pause for another second… then seek the flying unicorn.

If you’re asking someone for a feature for free, it doesn’t hurt to show a little respect and loyalty toward the people you hope will implement it. Ganging up all mutiny-style on the captain threatning to throw him overboard, does not get you anything; except perhaps a captainless ship…

1 Like

@bnorgd

My only argument for you is that SublimeText is a closed-source commercial product that is competing against open-source freeware.

Since a good amount of users invest their time & energy into making Sublime Text a better editor ( via plugins, bug fixes, other enhancements, & technical support ) and/or paid for a license, I think it’s only fair that we’re also allowed to offer constructive input.  Seeing as how it is a commercial product, it only stands to gain from having satisfied users ( & developers) and improved functionality.

This is a thread, on a forum, where people share their opinions.  No one is “ganging up” on anyone.  You can choose to read the given points as “rants” or you can try to see that they mostly offer insight into what users are looking for in this particular software.

As an avid software user ( in general ), loyalty plays no part in my selection process.  Software is a means to an end, and my usage of it has everything to do with performance + efficiency and nothing to do with personal attachment.  If something better exists, I’m going to use it.  Not a threat, just a fact.  Maybe one that gives insight into a user’s perspective to the developers, or maybe not.

1 Like

True. Not sure what you are arguing with this point, but fair enough. Clearly you cared enough to reply. Caring is good. Hereby rewarded with a reply of your own. However, don’t intend to pursue the point beyond the scope of this post: 1) I can do without the grief, 2) Bogus or not, I have no intension of hijacking the thread for the purpose of my own ranting.

Since when does “fair” have anything to do with it. Being able to offer input (constructive or otherwise) to a commercial product is a priviledge, not some god-given right. That said, most of this thread is all rant and whine. If you want a feature, just say, “hey, I’d really like this feature. It’d be awesome because…, I’d use it all the time :)”. Done. No need for all the whining and idle threats.

What suggested to you I was talking about anyone’s selection process? I was commenting on the idle threats, the whining and the general lack of respect.

Whether you feel genuine respect toward someone that is your business, but showing respect toward someone from whom you hope to get something, that’s just good sense; not to mention good manners.

And with that I shall take my own advice and seek the flying unicorns.

0 Likes

I believe that at this point ST3 is at beta stage so no new big features will be added to that version. It’s about time that it’s stabilized and released because many people are still sticking to last stable version which is quite far behind ST3 at this point. Adding new features now would mean more time till official release.

So I wouldn’t personally expect anything big before ST4.

2 Likes

At least we have now in 2016 two new dev build. So it’s mean that everybody wich thought ST3 is dead was wrong.

ST is a tool worth of money support etc. No other editor is so awesome yet still in quite slow development.

No proper SFTP management in sidebar or any awesome plugin to browse SFTP in tree view is the biggest problem for me.

Also possibility to show GIT actions in sidebar is a milestone.

Too bad that HQTeam is so small.

Anyway those two features are key features in future.

1 Like

@bnorgd Thanks for sharing your opinion on the matter. It’s totally understandable if you think this thread is “bogus” or my opinions are “a rant”. This is an open forum. Everyone can speak up their mind. I respect you.

I’d like to comment on the only bit you wrote, loosely related to the actual topic:

You are right. They are browsers. Personally I don’t think they are “moot”, but they are indeed Javascript platforms. The thing is, they are browsers that happen to be gaining track. And in their (very) short lifespan they have received features in key areas that already match Sublime’s. And, in some cases, even surpass them. And they are free and open source. Which are facts that raise questions. Which leads us to this thread.

And despite all of that, I’m still here thinking Sublime could potentially perform all those tasks that other editors already do and do it better. And I’d love to stop thinking about potentiality.

3 Likes

I do not regret buying SLT it served me pretty well for a long time (though I do regret buying the SFTP plugin, because it’s absolutely useless, if I want a dropbox I can just install a dropbox client), but as it stands now as soon as one of the open competitors gets a usable sidebar, that will likely mark the end of SLT for me. They are just more agile in their development and actually provide interesting new features - like the inline debugging of LightTable for example sounds really interesting.

I don’t see those features getting implemented for SLT before 2050.

The sidebar as tabs-replacement and file/project browser is (for me) the only essential feature that SLT has and that the other editors are still missing.

1 Like