Sublime Forum

Terminal inside Sublime Text

Hi!

I want to reraise the old very much wanted feature/idea of having the terminal window inside Sublime Text. That would be amazing to have everything in one place like that! (Especially in windows where the terminal/cmd.exe looks awful :wink:

The last time I checked, no functionality was possible due to limited API. But now with Sublime Text 3, is it possible to create such a plugin? It’s important that (ANSI) colors are allowed too in order to replace the terminal.

If not perhaps, jps, you could extend the API with the necessary functionailties? (or even better include it directly in ST3!) :smiley:

0 Likes

@200: if you are on windows (and it seems you are) you could try code.google.com/p/conemu-maximus5/

0 Likes

github.com/wuub/SublimePTY

0 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I’m currently using Console 2, which isn’t half bad. But having the terminal inside the code environment, not having to swap windows back and forth, would be something of its own

EDIT: Installed it, and using it now. It’s a nice upgrade from Console 2 actually. Great tip :smile:

Still think it would be nice to have it in sublime though…

0 Likes

I actually used SublimeREPL a while back, which is excellent for REPL.

However, if I remember correctly, it didn’t work so good with other things like node.js and meteor, because you can’t stop the process with hotkeys (e.g. ctrl+c). Also, ANSI colors is a big deal here if it’s to be a terminal replacement.

0 Likes

Swapping windows, swapping tabs… What’s the difference?

Two quick tip on conemu:

1. set options like this: (http://img.iamntz.com/jing/2013-02-22_19h49_47.png)
  2. find a comfortable enough shortcut (i found that ctrl+shift+` it’s good for me)

This way you will have the console hidden but very easy to show. I bet it’s faster than changing tabs or windows :wink:

0 Likes

Don’t know about Sublime API or plugins, but know something about ConEmu :wink:
It may act as part of any other window, this calls “Inside mode”. So, if you want to run ConEmu as part of Sublime - you need only create (or use?) some “pane” in Sublime and run “ConEmu.exe /insidewnd x***HWND***”. HWND is hex descriptor of this pane HWND.
I believe, it is possible to create such plugin.

0 Likes

no build in terminal for sublime??
this one is musthave tool! why should we use some strange and bugged plugins?
i love sublime, using is for couple years. but this thing is killing me. every ide has it. so why sublime cant?

thanks and keep up good work!!

0 Likes

Sublime isn’t an IDE so it doesn’t make sense for it to come bundled in the interest of keeping it as light as possible.

2 Likes

ATOM is also editor and has terminal

0 Likes

A good reason for for ST not to have it. Atom is awful.

1 Like

This thread is still my first hit on google when searching for “terminal inside sublime text” so allow me to do a little self-promotion and refer anyone who reads this to my new plugin, TerminalView, which does exactly this. You can find it on package control: https://packagecontrol.io/packages/TerminalView.

0 Likes

D’oh! That comment makes me sound a bit silly given how much I like TerminalView, but Atom really does manage to implement things in a bone-headed way.

1 Like