Sublime Forum

Tabs get randomly replaced when opening another file

Moin!

I’m using Sublime text version 3.1.1 build 3176 on Mac OSX 10.13.6 and have huge problems with using Tabs and the project browser.

When I open a project initially open a couple of files everything is fine and every file I click on gets create a new tab. However after some time and some tabs open when I click on another file to it opens, but replaces a tab I already had open. Even on the triangle on the left side that file is now missing and when I click on the file from the replaced tab again it replaces the file I opened before to switch between them. This makes working with tabs really hard as I can’t get files I want to open together selected easily. I’ve now reverted to using the subl command line to open it, but there must be a way to select files form the project browser.

So long
-Ralf

0 Likes

My guess would be that you’re single clicking files to open them, and you have this setting set at the default value (shown here):

// Preview file contents when clicking on a file in the side bar. Double
    // clicking or editing the preview will open the file and assign it a tab.
    "preview_on_click": true,

In short, when this option is turned on, a single click on a file opens it as a preview in a tab as a transient view (the name will be italicized). There is only one such preview pane, so clicking on the next file the same way replaces the preview.

Double clicking on the file will open it completely and dedicate a tab to it, as will editing the file.

Setting the above setting to false stops files from opening as a preview when you click on them, which still requires you to double click on them but may remove any confusion about what’s happening.

2 Likes

Suddenly, files from Side bar are opened in same tab

Moin!

That did the trick. Thanks a lot. I’m ok with double clicking, but couldn’t explain the behavior. I’ve set it to false now as this seems more consistent to the other tools I use.

So long
-Ralf

0 Likes