Sublime Forum

Support font ligatures

Hey,

I’m a loyal/active ST3 user and really love this lightweight but powerful editor. One feature I’d like to see is support of font ligatures in the editor. Many programming fonts have these features that combine certain common symbols to make code easier to read (e.g. Fira Code, Hasklig, Monoid.) Could support for this be added?

Thanks

28 Likes

Fira Code and ligature

jps’s response

Ligature support does not fit well with Sublime Texts current approach for text rendering. I’d like to see them working at some point, but it won’t be soon.

2 Likes

Support for font ligatures

Would it be easier to support ligatures via graphite than via opentype?

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=projects&item_id=graphite_home

https://packages.debian.org/sid/pango-graphite

0 Likes

Just to chime in and ask if this is a feature that’s on the roadmap? Or is it the bottom of a very long list? Would be great to have ligature support for fonts like Fira Code.

1 Like

I, too would be excited about this feature! I’m interested to see where it sits on the hierarchy of things.

0 Likes

I would also be very excited about this feature!

2 Likes

Firacode seems amazing.
I hope that sublime implement this feature.

0 Likes

I would like ligature support too.

0 Likes

Any updates on this at all? The last dev comment about this I’m aware of was in January 2016. Surely enough time has passed to figure something out?

1 Like

It isn’t exactly a matter of figuring something out as it is making significant architectural changes to how glyphs are cached and then drawn.

You can be fairly sure there won’t be any changes to ligature support before 3.0 is released.

3 Likes

I’ve really enjoyed sublime’s great performance (compared to Atom, for example), but I’m bummed to miss out on ligatures. From what I gather, there’s no apparent push to get ligatures working in Sublime Text 3. Is that true?

0 Likes

Right, we are not working on significant changes or new features at the moment, but working on getting 3.0 out the door. More significant development will happen after 3.0 is launched (the process of which involves more than just the editor codebase). We could go on forever having ST3 be beta and adding features and fixing things, but want to finish the stabilization of 3.0 and get the last stragglers off of ST2.

14 Likes

Oh, no way!! Sublime Text 3.0 is in beta?! Wow, I’ve been using it for…ages, it seems. Maybe a year or two? More? Huh, in that case, I’d agree that making 3.0 officially non-Beta would be a priority for you.

1 Like

According to Wikipedia:

Version 3 entered beta on 29 January 2013

0 Likes

Now that ST3 has been released, any update on that (very much wanted, from my point of view) feature?

Thanks for your hard work, ST dev team :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Agreed, it’s a fairly important feature to have going forward but understand it’s not a trivial task.

0 Likes

Update from today! Build 3145 was pushed out with support for font ligatures! It works! I tested it with Fira Code (OTF, not TTF) and it looks and works FANTASTIC.

Thanks for the hard work guys!

5 Likes

Closing this topic as it is now done! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

closed #19
0 Likes