Sublime Forum

Sublimetext (3180) turned into totally dark after mojave upgraded to 10.14.1 beta

Now I see, reverted to Default theme with build 3176 is working, Default theme is not working even with build 3180.

0 Likes

I have the same issue in Mojave 10.14.1 Beta

0 Likes

Console info:
error 12:30:12.552271 +0300 Sublime Text Unable to load Info.plist exceptions (eGPUOverrides)
error 12:30:12.819227 +0300 Sublime Text AEGetDescData of non-desc type ‘reco’ not a good idea

0 Likes

Same here (beta 10.14.1 beta (18B67a)) ST blacked out

0 Likes

Thanks for your information. By editting the preference file to set following:

"gpu_window_buffer": false,

will make sublimetext work for now. The file was located at Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/User/Preferences.sublime-settings

8 Likes

Total black screen, cant see the code

This sounds like a bug with Mojave 10.14.1. I would recommend as many macOS beta users report the issue to Apple so it gets fixed. It would appear that OpenGL + dark mode (and possibly a transparent NSWindow background color) results in the NSWindow not being rendered properly.

The gpu_window_buffer setting disables OpenGL, which can result in poor display performance in large windows on 5k Macs, and possibly also large windows on rMBP.

3 Likes

Just did, thanks. But to be honest, never get responses from bug reporting to Apple…

1 Like

That’s ok. The key thing is we make them aware that a change in a minor version of macOS is breaking software that works in 10.14.0, and pretty much every version back until 10.7.

1 Like

Just for completeness: Sublime Merge shows the same problem.

If it is considered as a bug of macOS: what causes the different behaviour of builds 3176 and 3180 with the default theme? I.e. will you investigate whether there is a possible workaround on your side?

0 Likes

It is a bug in macOS 10.14.1, as far as I understand, since the same build works properly in macOS 10.14.0.

The difference between 3176 and 3180 is that we opt-in to Dark Mode when the user has chosen it.

I have not spent time looking into a work around since it seems to be a bug with a beta build of macOS. If Apple ships this bug, then we will have to look for work-arounds, hopefully it won’t come to that. For now, it would seem you’ll either have to pick having beta macOS, dev build of Sublime Text, or not use the GPU for the Sublime Text window buffer.

0 Likes

Just registered here to comment that this works. Use a regular text editor to get into Preferences.sublime-settings (located at ~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/User/Preferences.sublime-settings)

0 Likes

For reference, this problem occurs in 10.14.1(18B67a) with 3180 regardless of whether Dark Mode is enabled or not. Disabling the GPU does correct it.

0 Likes

I have the exact same issue. 3180 issues regardless of Themes I’ve tried. 3176 working fine with Material Dark theme, but not working with The Adaptive them. I’m going to report issue with Apple now.

0 Likes

I’m having the exact same issue with Sublime Merge.

Do anyone know what the preference file to edit for Merge is?

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Likes

for some reason I don’t have the preferences file anymore (wtf?)

0 Likes

The preferences are located in ~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Merge/Packages/User/Preferences.sublime-settings

However, the "gpu_window_buffer": false setting does not appear to be supported / accepted by Sublime Merge.

0 Likes

Apple wants us to switch to Metal :wink:

0 Likes

Our users on macOS 10.7 through 10.10 don’t want us to. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

I filed a bugreport with Apple on this. If anyone else wants to do the same, you can reference/mention bug# 45485009

1 Like

Seems BETA5 fixes the issue. Looks fine on 10.14.1 Beta (18B73a) without having to disable GPU-support.

5 Likes