Sublime Forum

Sublime v4

Its userbase is bigger than sublime text in 2019 and is most likely in second place of VSCode (Which spies on you)

0 Likes

I donā€™t know what this means, but their numbers are not anything like VSCode. A matter of fact, here we can see both Sublime and Vim usage dropping:

Granted Sublime took a bigger drop, but :man_shrugging:. But saying Vim user base isnā€™t huge, is probably not completely fair, but there is no huge vim surge either. In my line of work, I donā€™t see a lot of people using vim, but there are some older people that have been using it for years, and a sprinkling of maybe younger people. Additionally, it depends on what we mean by uses vim. Do I use vim sometimes? Yes. Is it my primary editor? No. Sometimes I use it because it is convenient to do so.

As for VSCode, yes I see a lot of people at my place of employment using VSCode.

Also, these surveys must be taken with context, DevOps & Sys admins usually will use something like Vim as it is already on almost every machine they are remoting into. So there is a strong bias there. And Sublime or VSCode is probably never going to overtake that area.

Iā€™ll argue that Sublime is less popular now than it was in its golden years because now it has direct competitors. So the drop is expected. Competition is going to take a bite out of popularity.

2 Likes

"When we [Microsoft] build Visual Studio Code, we do exactly this. We clone the vscode repository, we lay down a customized product.json that has Microsoft specific functionality (telemetry, gallery, logo, etc.), and then produce a build that we release under our license.

When you clone and build from the vscode repo, none of these endpoints are configured in the default product.json. Therefore, you generate a ā€œcleanā€ build, without the Microsoft customizations, which is by default licensed under the MIT license"
This is what Microsoft visual studio isā€¦ Your info is out of date check the 2020 version

0 Likes

There is no 2020 version (that contains editor statistics).

0 Likes

Hello.
Just a little question.

I use the version ST4 on macos and have just installed a redhat virtual machine.
Can find only ST3. Isnā€™t ST4 executable for redhad available?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

Sublime Text 4 builds are only available from the Discord server currently; theyā€™re not linked elsewhere or in any package repositories. As such, you can use it there but youā€™re going to have to install it manually from the same place you got the MacOS version.

0 Likes

I guess you ran out of compelling arguments? :man_shrugging: Please keep language appropriate, and if you have nothing more compelling to say, move on.

Iā€™ve mentioned this before, but I am not chained to Sublime and I am aware of its warts as well as its good parts, and if I ever felt a more compelling editor was available, and it fit my needs better than Sublime, Iā€™d have no problem migrating to it. But I donā€™t uproot my workflow casually.

The original statement of Sublime getting all of its ideas from Vim is simply false.

And yes, I acknowledge a number of people may have migrated to VSCode. That much I do not deny. When there is more competition, the user base will be more divided. People who do not want to spend money will often migrate to the lowest hanging fruit that is free, and VSCode is probably one of the best free editors available. But its performance does not match Sublimeā€™s. Regardless of VSCodeā€™s user base percentages, I value the speed of Sublime more than VSCodeā€™s everything and the kitchen sink approach.

6 Likes