Sublime Forum

Sublime unusable over X11 on gigabit LAN (scrollbar transparency related?)

Hello,

I use Sublime on a gigabit LAN using X11. Unfortunately it is unusable because of (I think) the right side scrollbar, the transparent/block scrollbar that renders the text in miniature of other parts of the file. I’ve looked through the configuration file and I can’t seem to find any way to turn it off.

Editors like ‘gedit’ which are admittedly much simpler work fine with almost no noticeable latency, which is why I suspect that this fancy scrollbar is the root cause. Maybe that’s a leap, but just looking at what’s being rendered, it seems intuitive that that would be the problem.

Can someone please advise as to how this transparent/preview scrollbar (I don’t even know the proper name for it) can be turned off?

Please, don’t ask me to try using SSH compression. I’ve already tried that just to cover my bases and that’s not the issue here. Like I said, gedit works fine, as do several other editors and programs.

I’m willing to accept Sublime just won’t work well over X11 if that’s the case, but I’d really like to at least try to turn this feature off before I give up entirely on Sublime, which I find incredibly valuable as a productivity tool. My enterprise has > 100 licenses.

If anyone has any other tips on making this problem go away aside from SSH configuration options, please let me know as I’m willing to try anything. Otherwise, I will have to abandon my use of Sublime.

Also, please don’t ask me to reconfigure how I use it so that I simply don’t run it over X11. I can’t get into the constraints I have and why it must be X11, but suffice it to say this is by policy that I do not control. What I can do as a possible workaround is sshfs, but I’d like to avoid that as I find it even clumsier than X11 forwarding in this specific case (it will require two layers of sshfs mounts) and that is another policy issue that I’m not sure I can work with.

Thanks, hoping someone has some ideas on how to make this problem disappear.

0 Likes

View -> Hide MiniMap?
I think that is what you mean.

0 Likes

Ah! yes, that is it! Thank you. I will have to wait until tomorrow to test and see if this is the issue, but thanks for giving me the name of the feature. Because so many configuration options are in the text file, I just assumed there wasn’t any simple way to disable this via a menu, now I feel like an idiot for not trying out things in ‘View’

Will report back, thanks again

0 Likes

OK, so I was able to recreate the environment using a cloud VM, and that does seemed to have made a huge difference. Any other GUI features I might be able to disable to help speed things up?

0 Likes

Sorry, I don’t work on a LAN, and have only a vague notion of what X11 is. I see that other people have trouble with Sublime Text on X11. Perhaps this thread might help you, although it is not about X11. A recent build of ST might help, if you have a licence.
Or, it might be a system problem.

0 Likes