Sublime Forum

Sublime text is not responding for a while proportionaly to the number of files contained in the project ? What can we do?

Hi Everybody,

I m having some trouble to manage some projects which involved a lots of files.
Each time I open these projects I have Sublime Text not responding for a while.
The bigger the project is the longer I have too wait but I am to impatient for that.

Is there a way to handle big projects and avoid this issue ?

best regards

david

0 Likes

Without more info it is hard to tell exactly what issue you were running into.

You may want to checkout dev build 3125, as we’ve made some tweaks and added functionality for seeing what the indexer is doing with your codebase.

0 Likes

Hi wbond,

Thanks for the update,

I downloaded your latest update 3126 - I believe - I ll check what s going on with that new version.

Best regards

david

0 Likes

Morning,

I don t have the issue so far, but I got this error when opening sublime_text :
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “package_control.package_disabler in C:\Users\dav\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 3\Installed Packages\Package Control.sublime-package”, line 207, in delayed_settings_restore
TypeError: argument of type ‘NoneType’ is not iterable

Do you know what am I suppose to do with this information ?

0 Likes

Head over to https://github.com/wbond/package_control/issues/new and follow the directions.

0 Likes

I was having lots of trouble myself, and it turns out that Sublime is spending time watching files, and you can give it a hand by telling it not to watch by putting this in your preferences

"binary_file_patterns": [
  "*.jpg", "*.jpeg", "*.png", "*.gif", "*.ttf", "*.tga", "*.dds", "*.ico", "*.eot", "*.pdf", "*.swf", "*.jar", "*.zip",
  "node_modules/**",
  "bower_components/**"
]

node_modules typically contains a huge number of files. You could identify similar folders in your project and exclude them too. It made a huge difference to my performance

1 Like

Hi Guys,

@mikkelking, thanks, I haded certain directory in the folder_exclude_patterns in the project settings and it works better.

@wbond, do you think we can have some sort of alerts when a directory contains too much files or files are too big ?
the goal will be to avoid sublime text to parse entirely directories which are too big. a bit like github does when there s more than 1000 files in a directory.

Best regards

0 Likes

Having more than 1,000 files in a folder shouldn’t be an issue by itself – any issues related to that should ideally be solved by Sublime Text, rather than sending out alerts. I would need more information about what symptoms are being seen.

To my knowledge, the only performance issues with a large number of files are:

• When a folder has an extremely large number of files in it (over 1k), some machines have trouble when expanding/collapsing the folder in the sidebar. I’m in the process of rewriting the sidebar control to resolve this.
  • When a project has around 200k+ files in it, some users experience some lag in the Goto Anything quick panel. I haven’t yet looked into solutions for this, but we may need to tweak the implementation a little to make this more fluid.

We’ve recently made some tweaks to the indexer so out-of-the-box on laptops users experience less CPU usage.

So, if you can provide some more details about your situation, we should be able to find a solution.

1 Like

Hi @wbond,

Thanks for the follow up.

I do have 8 directories with 11k files and 1 with 22k files in it and each files are 32KB.

The main issue I faced is when I launch sublime text, the editor is working for a couple of minutes and then freeze as it is parsing the files within the directories.

If I wait the editor become available after a while but that s too long.

Thanks for help.

PS : Why is SideBarEnhancements is not part of https://packagecontrol.io ?
PSS : What is your best base settings for you (theme, plugins,…)

david

0 Likes

The folder with the 22k files is likely the issue. It isn’t parsing the files during that time, but rather a very large number of files hits a performance edge case in the implementation of the sidebar tree control.

0 Likes

What can I do ?

0 Likes

It seems you’ll have to wait until we finish rewriting the sidebar implementation.

2 Likes

Are you developing sublime text? I thought only 1 person - the author do it :slightly_smiling:

0 Likes

I’ve been working for Jon on Sublime Text since January, so yes. :slightly_smiling:

0 Likes

Can you tell some inside info about the future of sublime text? :slight_smile: Why it is not developed by a dev team? It’s too long to develop and fix alone

0 Likes