Sublime Forum

Sublime Text going forward

I think statements like “people moving away from Sublime” should be taken with a grain of salt. There are always people moving to and away from a project no matter how popular they are. There are fads and trends and things fluctuate to some degree. I have not seen anyone bring credible data to suggest that Sublime is in danger of dying or that there is some mass exodus.

12 Likes

Yup I hear you! This is exactly why I ended my previous comment with:

0 Likes

This needs a double Like. Not to say “prove it or else”, but more to remind us that most of this is highly subjective.

At one point I was just about to start writing Lua scripts to make SciTE “do more” like sort lines, after two years of Netbeans. I don’t feel like just saying something is an IDE or an editor is useful. There’s a pretty wide range in between and if SublimeHQ is still “bothering” releasing updates it means they still consider it financially viable, which is just great.

Right now (for C and C++ exclusively) I’m really happy using SublimeGDB on Linux. It’s not an IDE, but it’s a lot more convenient than using gdb TUI. To be fair, nothing else has yet come close to proper Visual Studio for efficiently and pleasantly debugging some specific problem, but conversely I find valgrind and gdb on native Linux much more effective at pre-identifying issues and cleaning up code.

0 Likes

I am completely with you. I am using sublime mostly for programming c(sometimes c++ for the University) and there is no good C plugin out there. ECC is not bad but it can not compete with the C/C++ Plugin from MS for visual studio. Its just so much better.
However I dont like the typing feeling from vs code and I prefer Sublime, but Sublime need better plugins maybe some “high quality plugins” for perfect language integration develop by SUBLIME just like MS did it for VS Code.
Right now I use LSP for C/C++ and Python.

4 Likes