Sublime Forum

Sublime Text freezes on Linux (Fedora / GNOME)

Does anyone have any updates? I don’t see anything in bug lists yet.

0 Likes

I’ve created issue. Please, participate to make it more noticeable https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues/3369

3 Likes

This issue started happening again – clearing the cache has no effect.

0 Likes

Also experiencing this issue on Ubuntu 20.10. For me, this observation from the linked Gitlab Gnome issue is true, only the display freezes, Sublime Text (build 3211) still seems to receive and process input:

“On further observation, it appears that the app is not actually frozen. Rather, it is the display which gets frozen. The App continues to take input but it doesn’t seem to update the display correctly. So it’s not exactly an app freeze.”

1 Like

Actually, I could have mentioned this. I noticed that right away, but unfortunately forgot to address this. When the App, or GNOME as it seems, froze, Sublime would still receive the input.

Btw.: Thank you all for contributing. Maybe this will get sorted out quickly

0 Likes

Guys, please provide logs for developer! https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues/3369#note_961067

Can’t do it myself, coz moved to 3.36

0 Likes

ST 4092 and 4093 on Ubuntu 20.04, interface problems

Not to be left out, I have this issue on Fedora as well. I upgraded Fedora from 31 to 33 and now have this problem.

0 Likes

Same issue, also PopOS, also happened when upgrading from 20.04 to 20.10. I’m in a VM using GPU passthrough, it’s an nvidia gtx 1060.

0 Likes

Fedora 33 - same issue. As mentioned above, changing tabs breaks the freeze.

0 Likes

holy shiiiii, I mean its not ideal having the system monitor running on another screen all the time but at least I’ve stoped tearing my hair out! haha

Thanks!

1 Like

From the linked bug report, it seems like the least intrusive workaround so far is to enable seconds display on the clock on the top bar. That forces a frame refresh every second, substantially reducing the issue.

0 Likes

Yeah I read that yesterday infact! the refresh rate of glxgears or system montor removes the freeze completely, but the clock showing seconds you get a slight lag inbetween a second passing, but its definitly better than having always on top window! Thanks!

0 Likes

Still there on Ubuntu 21.04

Gnome 3.38.3
5.8.0-40-generic
AMD Vega 8 (Open source) X11

Good news If I open the system monitor on a new Virtual desktop it goes away.

0 Likes

I am on Ubuntu 20.10 with Intel video. I see the same problem in Terminator (already replaced it with Tilix) and Sublime. Both windows should be in Maximized position.

But I realized that this problem won’t occur if you use always visible Ubuntu dock.

0 Likes

I am on Ubuntu 20.04.1 with some old nvidia card.
This workaround seems worked for me perfectly:

(found it here: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues/3369#note_1035553 )
btw. I have tried to enable seconds in toolbar, but this did not fix the issue (maybe only partly).

0 Likes

I am on Ubuntu 20.04.2 with Intel graphics and don’t have a problem.
I use no workarounds.

0 Likes

Hi there ! Finally some hope. Recent activity on mutter seems to resolve my issues.
I recompiled mutter 3.38.3-5 on Debian bullseye from Debian sid where they incorporated patches for X11 frame timing issues. Some other people have reported success on Fedora as well.

I just enjoyed my snappy beloved ST3 for 4 hours straight without any glitches.

0 Likes

After a few more days of intensive use, problem is gone for me. Hope the updates will soon land in your favorite distro.

Cheers !

0 Likes

I use Ubuntu with Gnome and I was facing the same issue.
It is a problem with gnome that can be worked aroud by the wandering-pixel extension. I couldn’t install the extension because it made me install a browser extension, so I just started a seconds ticker in my clock and the freezing issue doesn’t happen (at least it’s not noticeable). Run the command:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface clock-show-seconds true
0 Likes

FYI this seems to be fixed after I upgraded from Ubuntu 20.10 to 21.04.

0 Likes