Sublime Forum

Sublime Text calling home to license.sublimehq.com on every start?

It’s 10 seconds after start, not every 10 seconds.

6 Likes

Then simply employ offline method for your expired/pirate license checking needs, and everyone will be fine with that.

0 Likes

Please see Sublime Text calling home to license.sublimehq.com on every start?. It addresses the entirety of your comment, and more.

0 Likes

Then consider the following:

1. putting the official (legally binding) statement on the website that no data is collected during the license check

2. reducing number of checks to one per week - that will eventually make tracking not feasible, but will still keep the revoked, pirated keys blacklisting possible

2 Likes

Come on… as developers of a project this size, one would hope you’d realize the utter futility of anti-piracy measures. 1) You implement a licensing system, 2) people figure out a way to bypass it. Repeat ad infinitum for the ultimate zero-sum game. To quote Seven of Nine, “This activity is truly unproductive. The end result has no use. No necessary task has been accomplished. Time has been expended. Nothing more.”

If you’re interested in lowering instances of piracy, your only means of doing so is by improving the value proposition for the (potential) end-user, by either adding/improving functionality to match the price, or lowering the price to match functionality.

0 Likes

Hi,

I see the point in Sublime Text phoning home to check the license is valid, but having the editor phone home every start leaves the feeling of being watched and tracked.

I personally use Sublime Text not only for code editing but also as Notepad replacement, so I start it several times a day just to change some bytes in text files here and there …

How about adding some more randomness?

Maybe just do the license check only on “even” days of a month and start the check at a timespan of 5 to 30 minutes after starting the editor?

This would skip the check for most cases where just some small changes are made using Sublime Text and reduce the invasion of the privacy.

1 Like