Sublime Forum

Sublime Text 4 - Coming Soon

Nice to hear a new version is coming out.
Will ST4 have needed APIs to enable FTP plugins with file browser as VSCode does?

0 Likes

No, that did not reach the priority level of other changes we felt were more important for broad user base impact.

3 Likes

When will be the release date? e.g. Summer or fall?

1 Like

There hasn’t been a concrete date given by the developers. The general consensus as to a release date is “when it’s ready, it’ll be released”. But it might be soon now given the twitter announcement :crossed_fingers: .

0 Likes

Bad.
That puts off a lot of the people that would use ST.
I still find ST better than VS Code, but I cannot use sticks and ropes to work.

Hopefully, that will change.
Darko

0 Likes

I moved to ST4 from ST3 and really really happy with this :). Hope it will better more.
King of the editors (with me)

1 Like

Can I turn off “tab multi select”? Just because I want to select multi files to do something. Such as delete,upload,commit…

0 Likes

I don’t think there is currently a way to turn off tab multi selection.

0 Likes

You can disable "preview_on_click" for the side bar, but otherwise there’s no reason to disable tab-multiselect.

2 Likes

@bschaaf thx,that’s the only way.

0 Likes

Hi, how can I download ST4 dev build ?
I am registered ST user.

0 Likes

You can found it in the announcement channel of the official Discord chat server.

0 Likes

Is there a version for Big Sur specifically ? And if so which one?

Thank you

0 Likes

I don’t think there’s a version for Big Sur, specifically. If by Big Sur, you are metonymizing Apple’s ARM hardware, also no specific version. The latest v4 is a “universal binary” that will run amd64 on amd64 and ARM on ARM.

0 Likes

1. Do we have a timeline?

2. What about the license, if I have or just purchased ST3, do I need to buy new one for ST4.

0 Likes

1. No timeline is given by the developers.
  2. If you have a ST3 license, then you can use that happily for ST4 as well. Depending on when it was purchased, there may or may not be an upgrade fee (Nothing has been told about that yet).
0 Likes

that mean one should wait for the release. cause From FAQ:

• Upgrade Policy (Personal License)
    A license is valid for Sublime Text 3, and includes all point updates, as well as access to prior versions (e.g., Sublime Text 2). Future major versions, such as Sublime Text 4, will be a paid upgrade.If you have a license from 2012 or earlier, you can upgrade to a Sublime Text 3 license at a discounted rate.
0 Likes

The Sales FAQ Linked from the Buy Page for Sublime Text says:

UPGRADE POLICY
Personal licenses come with 3 years of updates. After 3 years, you’ll be able to continue to use the last version of Sublime Merge released within 3 years of purchase (in other words, licenses do not expire). Any versions released 3 years or more after the purchase date will require a paid upgrade to use.

Back in 2019, the license scheme for Sublime Text was changed to mirror that of Merge, which has no version numbers (and Sublime Text won’t either; we’re just all calling it Sublime Text 4 to avoid confusion).

Despite the apparent typo in the page mentioning Merge, licenses for Text are good for 3 years of updates. As such, any potential upgrade fee (which inded has not been announced) would presumably only be assessed on people that have licenses older than 3 years.

0 Likes

How to join the beta testing? (The version 4)

0 Likes

If you have a ST3 license, you can join the discord and download ST4 from there. As a development build, it’s currently only available to licensed users.

There’s a link to join the discord in the pinned forum topic on Resources and Bug Tracking.

0 Likes