Sublime Forum

Sublime Text 3 vs the Others

Some of my colleagues have moved on to PHPStorm now as it has just about anything built in for Front End Development plus it has PHP and Database support. I have used it and it is awesome, but it is still very heavy program and I probably need like 10% of it.

0 Likes

I know you prefer talking with Andrey, but let me give the article from Visual Studio Code site: https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/editor/integrated-terminal

0 Likes

Pigments is awesome. I have yet to find anything that can follow SCSS variables like that in any other editor. VSC Terminal Integration is very nice. Wish we could get that in Sublime core

0 Likes

What I do not like in PHPStorm and JetBeans apps is the lack of plugins and of init and key-maps that fulfil my needs, as automatic servers, colour picker, colour highlighter and the PHPStorm UI and syntax dark theme is awful. I hate UI themes of vampires. They reminder me too the films Twilight. The most beautiful themes are One Dark, Material and An Old Hope, themes of both Atom and Sublime Text.

0 Likes

Many plugins of JetBeans plugins are outdated and stop working on the latest versions. Other plugins developers passed away and one of their plugin site is no longer maintained.

0 Likes

It’s JetBrains not

1 Like

I was daydreaming. Sorry.

0 Likes

I am really digging the AYU Theme which I can get on any editor now. So are you using Sublime as your daily driver or Visual Studio Code or Atom?

0 Likes

Do you use an IDE like PHPStorm then as it has everything built in the core?

0 Likes

Daily Atom and SublimeText, and once in a while, Visual Studio Code

• Sublime Text:
    • C, C++, CSS, HTML, PHP and Python beautifier
    • Bigger files
    • Bigger files coded in base64
    • Run C scripts
    • Open terminal automatically from the folder and run PHP and Python
    • CLIPS and Jess highlighting and snippets
  • Atom:
    • View and pick quickly color root variables in CSS files if they are not bigger files.
    • Sort alphabetically in CSS, HTML and PHP
    • Run scripts
    • Run MySQL
    • PHP Server
    • Codes keymaps
    • Cypher of neo4j highlighting and snippets
    • Jython
    • Sort alphabetically in Python and several languages
  • VisualStudio Code:
    • Servers
    • Compile, run and open files automatically
    • TFS extension
  • Brackets:
    * Quick edit CSS code from HTML and PHP
    * Bigger files coded in base64
0 Likes

I am torn mostly these days between Sublime and PHPStorm. Since I work with Twig templating every day, PHPStorm has it built in so it will always be better than a third-party plugin. But for most other functions I try to stick with ST3.

0 Likes

I using Jetbrains PyCharm. To be honest there is one thing that i hate most compare to editors - all Jetbrains IDEs are so slow! Compare to Sublime (or even slow Atom) IDEs from Jetbrains are “turtles” of coding. Start up time, indexing etc. And next thing that i don’t like - color schemes. I guess it’s problem number two for Jetbrains. But if compare a whole ecosystem their products are the best IMHO.

0 Likes

I found the AYU theme for Jetbrains and really like it https://github.com/jesse-c/ayu-jetbrains. There is a new version coming out that is supposed to be a lot faster. I really like the aye-light version

0 Likes

I also use AYU for Sublime

0 Likes

I have tried VS Code for a week now, and tbh, I don’t like it. I just don’t have all the tools I have on Sublime. VS Code is not bad, but bunch of plugins are not working (code sniffer being a must use tool is not working on VS Code), auto-completions are poor for php.
It probably has something to do with me using Sublime for 3 years now, but I am just faster on ST than I am on VS Code.

I’m sure it’s a great tool if you are writing in TypeScript, but for what I’m using it it just didn’t work right. Not to mention the parsing that takes ages! Why does it have to parse all my 1000+ files? What are the benefits of it?

Just not my cup of tea…

0 Likes

For me, Sublime is still best editor out there. Only thing I am missing is remote (ftp) folders in the sidebar. That is why I use Atom, but every now and then I come back, as simply feels better working with ST.
Hope we will have that soon.

0 Likes

I am torn between ST3 and PHPStorm at the moment. I really just work in HTML, Twig, CSS and JS now. The IDE is overkill but I like the integrated terminal and code Completion. I have not been able to match it in ST3 yet. Anyone in here a convert from WebStorm or PHPStorm that can recommend some good Front End plugins for ST3?

0 Likes

My question is why are you using FTP? It’s unsecure and slow (i.e. doesn’t use binary diff).

0 Likes

I thought i’d put my 2cents in, I use Vim + sublime.

Vim is particularly useful for accessing / editing config files on remote machines, because it means you dont have to go through the whole process of sync-ing files after you’ve pulled it off the remote to edit, just SSH in and edit it locally on the remote itself.

Sublime for pretty much everything else, as i can tweak it how i want it, in fact with the addition of ligatures in the latest dev releases i just bought another license for a friend of mine who’s been super jealous of my setup for a while as she’s been stuck using dreamweaver (#x-mas present ideas).

Now as to what you should use. To give you all something to argue over im going to make a general sweeping statement upfront right now…

You will never have as ‘smooth’ an experience out-of-the-box in an open source system as you will with closed/controlled source.

This is demonstrably true, compare the learning curve and/or UX of beginners on linux to mac/win. Granted some distro’s do make it easier for the lay person to get started, and most use common features present in win/max DE’s to make it easy for converts, but the majority still require some proficiency with tech.

However open source has the benefit of flexibility, provided it’s fairly well designed (modular, follows SOLID, etc) you should be able to take the source and easily adapt it to your own needs. You wanna use linux on a Pi? Use it on a Pi or for that matter any IO device, or computers, or clusters of servers, etc.

If you apply this same sort of thinking to your editors…

With IDE’s the workflow is easier / very intuitive, but you’re counting on the devs to anticipate the use cases and either code it themselves or provide a public API so other people can. As soon as you stray outside that, you’re screwed or at the very least you won’t be able to solve the problem you’ve encountered in your editor and most likely you end up hacking on terminal scripts to solve the problem.

The problem is the open source alternative (atom / VScode) are based on a horrible platform (electron). It focuses on cross-platform compatibility but takes a big hit when it comes to performance and so while it’s fine for the simple things (discord, slack) when it comes to more performance oriented applications (editors, version control, etc) where algorithmic efficiency becomes crucial you can almost directly see the consequences.

Admittedly the node portion of electron does have C/C++ module capability, however AFAIK it hasn’t been exploited in any great degree on the editors in question (or if it has then the perf gains are irrelevant).

Sublime i think is the best halfway point you could ask for. It’s closed source enough that the devs can maintain core principles behind the software (performance is one), but the API is comprehensive enough that plugin developers can tweak things as they need. Furthermore it’s general purpose / generic enough that you integrate it into a workflow however you want.

As to the downside there’s only 1, you have to put the time in to construct your own workflow / custom experience, but it’s not like you have to do it every time you open it, and once done you can backup and sync your preferences across multiple machines very easily.

As to the specifics in your question

First, if you’re not using SASS (SCSS) or postCSS, start, it’ll change your life.

Second, i started using a tiling window manager, since then i’ve never found the need to have all-in-one monolithic IDE’s that have everything including terminals inbuilt. However you might wanna check package control if you like that kind of thing :slight_smile:

Third, code completion is quite handy however before that, if you’re not using emmet, i would start there

After that you can look at code completion

Also i recommend this to show your colors

And perhaps a styleguide generator, you can go through the following repo and pick out what you want to use along with DocBlockr, i use kss-node

6 Likes

As most of the times I do not have anything else? If you refer to SSH or something like that?

0 Likes