Sublime Forum

Sublime Text 3 installer cleaned up by MS Security Essentials

Hello Team,

The latest build of Sublime Text 3 (Sublime Text Build 3103 x64 Setup) is being flagged and cleaned up by Microsoft Security Essentials.
The installer when opened is reported by Security Essentials as a threat and is cleaned without prompt.

I would like to know if it is something in the installer itself of an operation during preparing to install that causes this behaviour (the file comes up completely clean on VirusTotal).

0 Likes

Same here.

Trojan:Win32/Varpes.J!plock
Description: This program is dangerous and executes commands from an attacker.
Recommended action: Remove this software immediately.
Items:
file:C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\is-MGRM0.tmp\Sublime Text Build 3103 x64 Setup.tmp

0 Likes

I’m getting this when trying to install the latest dev build.

Sublime Text Build 3107 x64 Setup.exe

The following error occurred: Error code 0x80508023. The program could not find the malware and other potentially unwanted software on this computer.

Category: Trojan

Description: This program is dangerous and executes commands from an attacker.

Recommended action: Remove this software immediately.

Items:
file:C:\Users\jonevans\AppData\Local\Temp\is-PSF84.tmp\Sublime Text Build 3107 x64 Setup.tmp

0 Likes

If I were you, I would remove Microsoft Security Essentials and find another anti-virus application.
Just a thought.

0 Likes

The issue is here is not the coming up of setup file as being clean, it is about confidence in sublime text installer being safe.
I can use another anti-virus that doesn’t mark the file as malware, but I want to be sure it is safe to use it and there isn’t anything in it that MSE is claiming it has.

0 Likes