Sublime Forum

Sublime SFTP and FTP Plugin (w/ Remote Browsing)

Looks great so far, can’t wait for browsing/editing on remote. That’s one thing I miss from Coda.

0 Likes

I would be all over this plugin if I could work off a server. Only thing holding me back right now.

0 Likes

I just released version 1.6, which includes the much-requested remote server browsing and editing. Enjoy!

0 Likes

Damn…

Will, I think you have too much time on your hands :smile: . This is pretty incredible. I’ll definitely buy it soon. (BTW, did you raise the price with this release?)

0 Likes

Bloody awesome!

Thank you!!!

0 Likes

[quote=“C0D312”]Damn…

Will, I think you have too much time on your hands :smile: . This is pretty incredible. I’ll definitely buy it soon. (BTW, did you raise the price with this release?)[/quote]

I hope you find it useful!

In terms of the price, it actually went down a little with the release. I have done some experimentation with the price to make sure I can sustain the work on it, but at the same time make it affordable enough. The actual history is $8 -> $15 -> $19 -> $16. I’ve found it takes quite a bit of development and support time to keep up with all of the emails and requests. :smile: I can’t imagine how much time Jon sinks into Sublime!

0 Likes

Thank you for the remote browsing!

Is there any chance we’ll get remote folder tree preview?

0 Likes

Wow! Awesome!
Thanks for the update :wink:

0 Likes

Unfortunately there is no way through the Sublime API to add items to the side bar. I don’t load the full remote tree in the quick panel because the performance of such degrades very quickly when there are a number of folders and you have anything but the fastest connection.

Another request I’ve heard before that has the same answer it about adding context (right-click) menu entries to the files in the “Files” section of the side bar. Unfortunately the answer for this is also the same – there is no way to affect that via the Sublime API.

0 Likes

I seem to have discovered a small issue. When I use the “local to remote sync,” it opens a connection and works flawlessly. Then a few minutes later, I might make another edit. When I press “local to remote sync,” it connects, prompts me if I want to overwrite, I select yes, then it gives my a timeout error. If I restart st2, and the press local to remote sync, it works again flawlessly.

It seems that the plugin is not properly closing the connection because this issue occurs frequently. But besides that, it’s awesome.

Thanks again for all your work.

0 Likes

[quote=“C0D312”]I seem to have discovered a small issue. When I use the “local to remote sync,” it opens a connection and works flawlessly. Then a few minutes later, I might make another edit. When I press “local to remote sync,” it connects, prompts me if I want to overwrite, I select yes, then it gives my a timeout error. If I restart st2, and the press local to remote sync, it works again flawlessly.

It seems that the plugin is not properly closing the connection because this issue occurs frequently. But besides that, it’s awesome.[/quote]

Thanks for the bug report! I’ll check it out and release a fix with the next version.

You are correct in that I never explicitly close the connection - this helps improve the performance of uploads, but it has been quite a bear trying to find all of the edge cases about how the various programs and libraries I use react when they are disconnected by the server.

0 Likes

There’s really only one thing stopping me from purchasing this. I noticed there is “Upload file on save”, how about a “Download file on open (if newer)”

Most editors plugins I’ve tried that do FTP have somewhat of a “sync” when I open a file - that is, checking if the remote file has been modified after the local copy. If it has been modified after, then download the newest version on the spot. I do a lot of personal work off a cloud server (not production) and am forced to use FTP.

Therefore, if I checkout out another branch in the remote workspace via git, there’s a good chance my local copy will become stale and will muck up my current workspace if I don’t explicitly download each file I open.

0 Likes

Is there any chance to get the menuitems under “sidebar” and “context menu” organized under a “FTP” submenu?
Thanks

0 Likes

I found another odd bug. When I delete a folder off of my server, it deletes everything in the folder, then it deletes the actual folder, and then it tries to delete the folder again. It’s not really a big deal, but then SFTP throws a message saying ERROR.

0 Likes

I’ll see if I can come up with a solution for this.

Sort of related, I’m also working at a solution for handling auto file uploads when a file changes from third-party program such as CodeKit.

[quote=“tito”]Is there any chance to get the menuitems under “sidebar” and “context menu” organized under a “FTP” submenu?
Thanks[/quote]

So there is currently a bug in Sublime on Windows and OSX that does not hide the three sub-menus when no SFTP remote has been configured. It works fine on Linux and I have a bug report into Jon about it.

I’ll play around with moving all of the menu items under a single entry, however I definitely don’t want to get into more than two levels of menus. I’m concerned that having all 9 entries in a single menu will be too much, but like I said, I’ll play around with it. :smile:

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

When possible (for anyone, not just COD312), if you do find a bug, please let me know at support@wbond.net and include a debug log if you can. This helps to make sure I don’t forget to get back to you, and helps provide me with info about what is going on with your machine and remote server. You can get a debug log by going to Preferences > Package Settings > SFTP > Settings – Default, copying the debug and debug_log keys into the Settings – User file and setting debug to true.

0 Likes

Hi,

I have a problem using SFTP with SSH Key file.
When asked for the Passphrase, the window close after 2/3sec, and i have the “failure (Connection timeout)” error.

I’ve tried changing the “connect-timeout” setting, but it doesn’t change anything.

I’m on Windows and everything else seems ok …

Thanks

0 Likes

Any chance to have all the FTP content in the sidebar? Just like a project. Very annoying to go to “browser FTP” each time I want to open a file. that way I could also click cmd+p and find what I want immediately.

If you do that, I’ll definitely buy it.

Thanks.

0 Likes

[quote=“JeromeM”]Hi,

I have a problem using SFTP with SSH Key file.
When asked for the Passphrase, the window close after 2/3sec, and i have the “failure (Connection timeout)” error.

I’ve tried changing the “connect-timeout” setting, but it doesn’t change anything.

I’m on Windows and everything else seems ok …

Thanks[/quote]

I’m working on replicating this now. There should be a fix with 1.6.3.

[quote=“BomBin”]Any chance to have all the FTP content in the sidebar? Just like a project. Very annoying to go to “browser FTP” each time I want to open a file. that way I could also click cmd+p and find what I want immediately.

If you do that, I’ll definitely buy it.

Thanks.[/quote]

Unfortunately it is not currently possible to manipulate the sidebar via an API in Sublime. I’ve had quite a number of requests for this, so I plan on asking Jon if that is something he would consider adding. The downside is that there aren’t many, if any, other plugins that would need to manipulate the sidebar in such a way, so it is of limited use.

In terms of browse via key command, you can press ctrl+alt+u+w (or cmd+ctrl+u+w on OS X) to browse remotely at the current file, which is the equivalent of ctrl+p.

0 Likes

Okay thank you, but it isn’t very comfortable if I accidentaly click something else than what I want, or I go to Chrome to check something and the control panel disappears…

0 Likes

In your case, I’d probably look into buying Expandrive (expandrive.com/). I believe there is a 30-day free trial. It mounts a remote server as a local drive or folder, and then you can use the built-in sidebar to browse your code.

0 Likes