Sublime Forum

Sublime retains cursor position for each undo/redo version

There is a critical issue that prevents you from cycling through undo/redo in order to see what has been changed in the file.

The issue is that Sublime associates a cursor position with each place in the undo tree. If you undo to a version, then move your cursor, whatever you do - if you undo/redo and end up on that version in the undo tree again at some point, it will force your cursor to where you left it the last time you were at that version. This is the main issue - and the main reason why it’s easy to get in a situation where it is impossible to see what changes have been applied by replaying redo.

Does anyone know of a way to disable the fact that Sublime retains the cursor position for each place in the undo/redo history? This should be the default and I believe it is a bug for it to behave otherwise (or at the very least it’s a very poor default). When undoing redoing/ the cursor should be brought to the place of the change (this is the behavior that currently happens if you do not move your cursor when navigating back and forth through the undo/redo history).

This disproportionately effects people who use the keyboard to navigate (people with mobility disabilities etc).

0 Likes

Redo: Impossible to see redone changes

Is this logged in github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues ?

0 Likes

Yes, github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues/107

But without the extra information I’ve provided in this thread. I’ll update it with a link to this thread. It’s pretty serious IMHO.

0 Likes

appreciate it

0 Likes