Sublime Forum

Sublime Merge SSH Failing when Key has password

When I try to clone a repo I get a git failed with exit code 128.

Also when I try to push/pull I get a git@gitlab.com public key denied.

In my ~/.ssh folder I have a config file that looks like this:

Host mycompany.gitlab.com
    HostName gitlab.com
    User git
    PreferredAuthentications publickey
    IdentityFile ~/.ssh/gitlab-company-bryan

git in the terminal works fine but Sublime Merge I am getting permissions errors.

What do I need to do so that Sublime Uses this public key? I’m super confused and get it to work at the moment.

0 Likes

Git failed with exit code 128

If you’re on Linux or macOS, you can try setting the git_binary preference to system and see if that fixes your issue.

See also Git failed with exit code 128

0 Likes

@srbs I’m having the same problem. But I’ve already changed the git_binary pref to system. This didn’t help.

0 Likes

@srbs I’m not really sure how to set git_binary but I don’t think that is the issue. The issue seems like it’s not using my SSH keys properly because I am using a password for my keys

@SoylentX please let me know if you figure out how to fix this.

0 Likes

I also tried your suggestion, git_binary pref to system, but it didn’t work.

0 Likes

Does no one use sublime merge with a password’d ssh key that can help me with this issue?

0 Likes

I do, but KeyChain on macOS handles everything for me (without any ssh config; I’m still using the default id_rsa for all of my repos). My suggestion above was just something to try in case it magically worked.

0 Likes

Any idea on how you got an ssh key password inside your keychain?

0 Likes

This might help: https://help.github.com/articles/generating-a-new-ssh-key-and-adding-it-to-the-ssh-agent/#adding-your-ssh-key-to-the-ssh-agent

0 Likes

Thanks for your help @srbs I got it working. Anyone can view the resolution here:

0 Likes