Sublime Forum

Sublime consumes cpu on Mac after update

On my Mac (Mojave 10.14.6), I had disabled the indexing and git status line, but still got an enormous number of scan: ... lines and CPU usage, even when none of the open files referenced a git repo.

I eventually shutdown ST3 (build 3207 BTW), ran rm "${HOME}/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Local/*.sublime_session".

On restarting the problem has gone away. I suspect that ST3 crashed at some point and left behind references to the .git repos that caused the problem.

0 Likes

Iā€™ve been using Sublime for years and love it, but lately performance issues are making my MacBook completely unusable.

Iā€™ve read through this topic and tried various suggestionsā€¦

Iā€™ve tried setting show_git_status and gpu_window_buffer to false.
Iā€™ve deleted the session.

Iā€™m on 3.2.1 / 3207, on macOS 10.14.6 (18G84).

Every time I save any file, it rebuilds the entire project index from scratch - is that how itā€™s supposed to work?

I can wait for the indexing to finish (several minutes), but as soon as I save a file, it starts again. If I donā€™t wait for it to finish, it starts again. Itā€™s always indexing! Given how much CPU that consumes, I canā€™t get anything else done.

At the moment, I have no alternative except to disable indexing, which is a shame as ā€œgotoā€ is really handy.

Any ideas?

0 Likes

Latest Sublime. MacOS catalina, iMac 2018 16gb ram. 1tb ssd.
Sublime consumes over 100% memory.

1 Like

Could you check the sublime indexing status: Help>Indexing Statusā€¦, as well as try reverting to a freshly installed state.

0 Likes

Just installed Sublime 3.2.2 for the first time ever. Iā€™ve never used it before, but I like what I see, at least for the first minute or so. Now itā€™s spiking my CPU and is almost unusable. Tried https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/revert.html but no luck. Also, checked indexing status and its ā€œidleā€. Iā€™m on macOS 10.15.4. :frowning:

0 Likes

Could you post your console output?

0 Likes

Trying to figure out what youā€™re referencing. I see that question being asked a lot in this thread, but as I am new to Sublime, I havenā€™t yet found the document on how to produce what youā€™re asking for.

0 Likes

The Sublime console is a panel that you can open at the bottom of the window that shows status messages from Sublime, your plugins, etc. You can get at it by using View > Show Console from the menu or using the key binding thatā€™s displayed there (or via the panel chooser menu in the bottom left of the window).

0 Likes

Ah, of course. MacOS now lists Sublime as ā€œusing significant energyā€, but at least the fan hasnā€™t started running this time. It was non-stop last time. Not sure whatā€™s different this time. Iā€™ll keep using it and if it happens again Iā€™ll capture the console right away. For now, hopefully something below helpsā€¦

Thanks!

using gpu buffer for window
environment variables loaded using: /bin/bash -l
scan: /Users/sean/Documents/Development/powrslide-qt/target/PowrSlide.app/Contents/MacOS/PyQt5/uic has been seen before, skipping (using inode) previous path: /Users/sean/Documents/Development/powrslide-qt/target/PowrSlide.app/Contents/Resources/PyQt5/uic inode: 8673107416
scan: /Users/sean/Documents/Development/powrslide-qt/target/PowrSlide.app/Contents/MacOS/PyQt5/Qt/translations has been seen before, skipping (using inode) previous path: /Users/sean/Documents/Development/powrslide-qt/target/PowrSlide.app/Contents/Resources/PyQt5/Qt/translations inode: 8673107424
reloading plugin Default.arithmetic
reloading plugin Default.auto_indent_tag
reloading plugin Default.block
reloading plugin Default.colors
reloading plugin Default.comment
reloading plugin Default.convert_color_scheme
reloading plugin Default.convert_syntax
reloading plugin Default.copy_path
reloading plugin Default.detect_indentation
reloading plugin Default.echo
reloading plugin Default.exec
reloading plugin Default.fold
reloading plugin Default.font
reloading plugin Default.goto_line
reloading plugin Default.history_list
reloading plugin Default.indentation
reloading plugin Default.install_package_control
reloading plugin Default.kill_ring
reloading plugin Default.mark
reloading plugin Default.new_templates
reloading plugin Default.open_context_url
reloading plugin Default.open_in_browser
reloading plugin Default.pane
reloading plugin Default.paragraph
reloading plugin Default.paste_from_history
reloading plugin Default.profile
reloading plugin Default.quick_panel
reloading plugin Default.rename
reloading plugin Default.run_syntax_tests
reloading plugin Default.save_on_focus_lost
reloading plugin Default.scroll
reloading plugin Default.set_unsaved_view_name
reloading plugin Default.settings
reloading plugin Default.show_scope_name
reloading plugin Default.side_bar
reloading plugin Default.sort
reloading plugin Default.switch_file
reloading plugin Default.symbol
reloading plugin Default.transform
reloading plugin Default.transpose
reloading plugin Default.ui
reloading plugin CSS.css_completions
reloading plugin Diff.diff
reloading plugin HTML.encode_html_entities
reloading plugin HTML.html_completions
reloading plugin ShellScript.ShellScript
reloading plugin 0_package_control_loader.00-package_control
reloading plugin Package Control.1_reloader
reloading plugin Package Control.2_bootstrap
reloading plugin Package Control.Package Control
plugins loaded
Package Control: Skipping automatic upgrade, last run at 2020-05-12 20:33:31, next run at 2020-05-12 21:33:31 or after

0 Likes

I have not up upgraded, using sublime 3 for many months, no new extensions/addons installed but all of a sudden there is a spike rendering it useless.

0 Likes

The indexing will parse all of the code in any folders you have open, which can take a while when you first open a folder, especially if the folder contains many thousands of files.

Future releases of Sublime Text will have some improvements to the performance of indexing, which should minimize this.

The other thing that can consume a lot of CPU is if you open a large folder with many filesystem events happening. For instance, if you open your user home folder, Sublime Text gets filesystem notifications about every file creation, modification and deletion. With a home folder, this can be quite a lot of activity.

If you are using Package Control a new version of a package may have been installed. The way to test would be to see if https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/revert.html helps.

1 Like

Seems to be resolved with the suggestion.

0 Likes