Sublime Forum

Sublime 3204 is killing CPU

Brand new Macbook Pro, clean installed Mojave 10.14.4, no other 3rd party apps except Sublime Text 3204
“show_git_status”: false (I don’t want git troubles and I really don’t think that damned git has any place inside a pure code editor)

No extra packages, color themes or schemes other than the default. A dual page text file left opened for half an hour while talking on phone, Mac temperature at 60C, fan screaming and Sublime at 80% CPU while staying idle. Indexing idle too,

With all due respect, please give me back the lean stable and fast editor Sublime Text used to be before the latest changes.

If i wanted such problems I would use VC, Atom or any other bloated JS based opensource garbageware instead paying for Sublime Text.

0 Likes

3204 is a dev build and, as such, is more likely to have bugs and problems. So first I suggest installing the more tested and stable 3.2 (build 3200).

Re. git, as the most popular, versatile and free VCS out there it’s not surprising that Sublime has added support for it. A good many devs cited lack of git integration as a reason not to use Sublime, and I for one am very happy with its inclusion.

With the exception of a few edge-cases, Sublime 3.2 series out-performs previous versions in the 3.x line.

You are likely experiencing a bug or configuration issue. If installing 3.2 doesn’t solve your problem, it might be useful to give a little background info if you want some help trying to solve your problem.

0 Likes

3200 behaves exactly the same, randomly with no obvious reason and a single page text file opened starts eating CPU resources. Sublime default config btw, just the “show_git_status”: false line.

As for git, it is only a part of developer’s workflow, same as editor, debugger, source formatter or whatever tool he likes. Problems are starting when these tools get integrated in editor’s codebase where they don’t belong. Besides, there are supposedly the add-on packages for this job.

There so many bloated buggy IDEs out there but just a few lean fast and trouble free code editors.

0 Likes

Sublime Text does 3 things in the background:

1. Scans folders in the sidebar. We need to walk any folders you have added to the sidebar. This generally takes essentially no time. When it’s in progress, there’s an animated loading icon for any still loading folders, although you’d typically only see this when working with networked drives.
  2. Indexes files within folders added to the sidebar. The Help/Indexing Status menu tells you when this is active.
  3. Scans git repositories for changes. “show_git_status”: false disables this.

If one of the above isn’t happening, and it sounds like it’s not, then the most likely scenario is a plugin using lots of CPU time. I’d recommend reverting to a clean state: https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/revert.html

2 Likes

Sorry, but 3.2 is the worst version ever (unless git integration is disabled)
Sorry, but 3.2 is the worst version ever (unless git integration is disabled)

Thanks for answering

I’m afraid that nothing from all those apply. No folders added, git is disabled, just a single text file opened, indexing status idle, no plugins or further configuration, and Sublime clean installed from scratch into clean installed Mojave.

However activity monitor says 80% cpu usage for Sublime. After restarting Sublime problem was solved but I’ve experienced the same an hour later even though Sublime was idling.

PS: Never noticed such a CPU overusage with Sublime Text 3204 on Windows 10 though…

0 Likes

Did you follow the revert instructions? People very frequently install a plugin or two (perhaps years in the past), and then forget about it. Installing a fresh version of Sublime Text won’t revert the configuration and installed plugins.

0 Likes

Can you post a screenshot of Activity Monitor? Some people have run into issues with processes in their bashrc running amuck.

0 Likes