Sublime Forum

Sublime 3 won't open ANY x64 version after autoupdate

Hi, i’ve autoupdated Sublime Text 3 x64 through the dialog that popups on ST3 startup. Then all of sudden whenever i open it it simply hangs. I’ve tried downloading older x64 versions but they still crash! I’m using Sublime Portable.

I’ve tried reverting it to a fresh install but it still crashes!

However i can open it when running it on Sandboxie (http://www.sandboxie.com/).

Also when i open it in sandbox it’s like it’s a fresh install, even though i have still my stuff on the data folder.

I’ve created a pastebin with Sandboxie’s Resource Acess Monitor log, created when opening Sublime Text 3

Maybe it’s something in the registry?

C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 3 is currently emtpy.
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Sublime Text 3 is currently about 500kb
(i’ve restored those folders after testing the revert)

I’m using Windows 7 x64

0 Likes

Hmm, C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 3 should have Packages\User\ and Local\ inside of it.

If C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 3 is empty, can you try removing it and see if it makes a difference?

I’m not sure how Sandboxie works, but I presume it changes env variables, causing the data dir to be placed somewhere else.

0 Likes

C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 3 does have Packages\User\ and Local\ inside of it, but they’re empty as well.

I’ve already tried deleting both this folder and the one in AppData\Local too, with no success.

I leave ST3 on my dropbox and i had an exact working copy on another pc, so today i’ve tried using the exact same ST3 i’ve been using normally on this computer, but even this version doesn’t work :hushed:

I’ve also tried moving it out of my dropbox but to no effect.

Honestly i’m not sure too how Sandboxie works.

0 Likes

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?FrequentlyAskedQuestions

Sandboxie extends the operating system (OS) with sandboxing capabilities
by blending into it. Applications can never access hardware such as
disk storage directly, they have to ask the OS to do it for them. Since
Sandboxie integrates into the OS, it can do what it does without risk of
being circumvented.

The following classes of system objects are supervised by Sandboxie:
Files, Disk Devices, Registry Keys, Process and Thread objects, Driver
objects, and objects used for Inter-process communication: Named Pipes
and Mailbox Objects, Events, Mutexs (Mutants in NT speak), Semaphores,
Sections and LPC Ports.

it might be worth opening Windows Explorer in your Sandboxie sandbox, and then checking the %AppData%\Sublime Text 3 folder there - it will be different to the one outside the sandbox.

1 Like

But the programs in the sandbox can still read the files, registry, etc outside the sandbox. It just can’t write. And before reading the files outside the sandbox it checks if the file exist inside the sandbox. If it does, it reads from there.

So this is why i don’t get why it works in sandboxie. It’s reading the same stuff as if it was outside the sandbox, or am i mistaken?

Also, there is no %AppData%\Sublime Text 3 inside the sandbox.Maybe this is because i just opened ST3 sandboxed but i didn’t use it much there.

The fact that even the exact same version that i was using before updating stopped working leads me to think it’s something the updater left in the registry or in some other folder.

0 Likes

Somehow after some days i’ve just used tried opening “Sublime Text Build 3124 x64” and it’s working. But 3126 still crashes so i’m simply not trying to use it anymore because of the risk of it making the other versions to stop working too. I will give it a try on 3127 or 3128

0 Likes