Sublime Forum

Sublime 3 Slow build

I have been using Sublime base version but recently I update my sublime to 3.2 which changes its build speed for simple c++ program from almost 0.7 seconds to (3-5) seconds.

0 Likes

Maybe due to an anti-virus software? Sublime Text takes 6 seconds while executing cout<<"Hello World"<<endl;

0 Likes

I have MacOS 10.15.5 and no antivirus installed.

0 Likes

The performance drop might be caused by ST tracking your built artifacts. Especially the git integration could be the reason.

Did you add the folders and files of temporary files to the .gitignore file and index_exclude_patterns?

0 Likes

No I’m justing use the copy that I received online without any integration.

0 Likes

Sure, the git integration is a builtin feature of ST3.2+
(see: https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/git_integration.html)

I guess your project folder with all source codes and build output directories is added to the sidebar or opened as project in ST?

ST uses filesystem notifications to receive and handle new/modified/deleted files of that directory, then. This is required to update the sidebar and drive the git features.

If your compiler creates or modifies a lot of files, ST sees all those changes and needs to check, whether it is something useful or not, which may take some time.

To verify that, you could temporarily disable the git integration to see whether performance improves.

// Shows git repository information next to files in sidebar and in
	// the status bar. Sublime Text has to be restarted for this to take
	// effect.
	"show_git_status": false,

If yes, a .gitignore file with all temp files and folders could help, as it helps ST’s git feature to ignore irrelevant filesystem changes.

0 Likes