Sublime Forum

Storing User Settings Elsewhere

Is it possible to change the user settings directory to be somewhere other than the default location?

I like to keep my settings checked into git (mainly so that I can easily work/migrate between machines) and would love to be able to have ST2 settings be loaded from ~/etc/sublime2/… or similar.

I suspect the answer is its not possible right now :frowning:

0 Likes

I guess you can just make a symlink or something similar?

1 Like

I did a funky setup. I installed ST2 then put the portable version in my Dropbox. Then I deleted the contents of my Program Files\ST2 directory and linked the portable version to that folder (directory junction I think it’s called in Windows). This gives me my context menu entry on right click but allows me to sync my settings with dropbox. If I wanted to, I could turn that folder into a git repo. I then did the same steps at the office… voila, synced settings. Even synced tabs which is awesome… and even more awesome is syncing unsaved tabs. I can create a new text document, put some text in there, drive to work and have that tab waiting for me. Pretty cool! :smile:

One thing I was hoping to be able to do was to create a machine specific config file. At work I use the light Soda theme since I have crazy glaring lights and the dark themes are just too much contrast. At home I switch back to the dark theme. It’s easy to change, but if I could setup a machine_name_01.sublime-settings for each desktop, I’d be in heaven! :smile:

0 Likes

Hey, thought your problem was kind of interesting because I work on three different machines during the day (Mac OS X at work, Windows & Ubuntu at home.) I just keep my packages directory synced across them all using Dropbox and some symlinks.

Anyways, this should do what you want.

import sublime, sublime_plugin
import platform

class SodaThemeColorByHostCommand(sublime_plugin.WindowCommand):
	dark_theme = 'Soda Dark.sublime-theme'
	light_theme = 'Soda Light.sublime-theme'

dark_machines = '']
	light_machines = '']

def run(self):
		s = sublime.load_settings('Global.sublime-settings')
		hostname = platform.node()
		if hostname in self.light_machines:
			s.set('theme', self.light_theme)
		elif hostname in self.dark_machines:
			s.set('theme', self.dark_theme)
		sublime.save_settings('Global.sublime-settings')

sublime.active_window().run_command('soda_theme_color_by_host')

You should just be able to throw that into your Packages in a python file (I have it as ‘sodacolor.py’) and fill in the hostnames of the machines you want to be dark/light.

0 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the code! It looks like it should work perfectly, but I’m getting an error… unfortunately, I’m a complete Python noob, so I’m not sure if this is a Sublime thing or a Python thing… here’s the error:

Reloading plugin D:\MyStuff\Dropbox\Software\Sublime Text 2\Data\Packages\sodacolor.py Traceback (most recent call last): File ".\sublime_plugin.py", line 57, in reload_plugin File ".\sodacolor.py", line 20, in <module> sublime.active_window().run_command('soda_theme_color_by_host') AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'run_command'
Also note that I’m running build 2101. I’m hoping this error doesn’t stem from the fact that I’m keeping the app in my Dropbox folder. Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch!

1 Like

Nope, nothing to do with you keeping your installation in Dropbox. Unfortunately when sodacolor.py is sourced, there are no windows, so that’s why you see “‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘run_command’.” I’m working on a complete overhaul of this, and while there doesn’t seem to be a way to get it to run on start up, you should at least be able to hit a single key binding and get the theme you wanted.

0 Likes

Yup, “working on something” became “keeping me up way too late.” Here’s what you need Sean:
https://forum.sublimetext.com/t/host-specific-settings/2256/1

Follow my instructions in there, then you’ll want something like:

{
	"machine1": {
		"defined": {
			"global": "theme"]
		},
		"theme": "Soda Dark.sublime-theme",
	},
	"machine2": {
		"defined": {
			"global": "theme"]
		},
		"theme": "Soda Light.sublime-theme",
	}
}

in User/Hosts.sublime-settings, with the machine names set to whatever you use. Ctrl+Shift+H when you start using Sublime and you should be good to go.

0 Likes

Haha, thanks for staying up late. Funny how time flies when you’re working on something fun. :smile:

Thanks for the help, this works perfectly!

0 Likes