Sublime Forum

Stop locking topics

Then stop posting same question over and over again…

If Jon didn’t respond to last 19823 threads where he was asked to give a life sign (and he didn’t), do you really expect a sudden habit change? :open_mouth:

0 Likes

Personally I would prefer to not have threads locked.

I do think jbrooksuk is doing a great job as a moderator. It’s a thankless job with no hope of making everyone happy. If he wasn’t active the forum would have a lot more spam on it with none of us able to remove it.

0 Likes

Yeah, me too. But look how things escalated here: Goodbye Sublime Text

0 Likes

I have no problem with threads getting locked that are essentially saying “I don’t use Sublime; Sublime sucks”. I have no problem with the opinion expressed, but go start an “I hate/don’t use Sublime” forum and post there. If/when the day comes that I leave Sublime Text, I will move on and stop posting here…because I have better things to with my life :wink:. I just can’t understand why people waste their time on a forum for software they no longer use; it just seems spiteful and not at all relevant to the forum.

On the other hand, I do understand why people complain about Jon’s longer hiatuses and lack of support responses; I am torn about whether these threads should be locked; though, I don’t understand why people lose their minds after 2-3 months of no new releases. I also have no ideas about how much support email Jon gets, so I can’t really comment on his turnaround time there. When I first started using Sublime, Jon would pop in regularly with responses here and there. It seems recently you can only catch a response from Jon during a release period…maybe it was always like that and he was just releasing more often. Anyways, threads about this stuff are at least relevant even if I do get a little tired of seeing them (I do think they should remain civil though).

Anyways, I am glad jbrooksuk is moderating and keeping the spam at a minimum and trying to keep this place civil. As jbrooksuk is no doubt doing this for free in his spare time, I really can’t complain, so the choice is really up to him.

Yeah, people get quite…passionate…

0 Likes

[quote=“swifton”]Moderators: could you please stop locking topics? I understand the intention, but the logic is flawed, since it causes new threads to be started (like this one)
[/quote]

Sure, when things stop escalating as quickly as they are. If and when people learn to play nice, I’ll relax on the locking. I do this for free, in my own time throughout the day. I don’t have time to parent some of the people here, so it’s just quicker and safer for everyone to have the thread locked immediately.

It’s not. Trust me.

Private message them.

Thanks… If I stop deleting the near hundred threads a day of spam, you’ll realise just how much work I put into the forum to keep it clean.

Again, it’s hard not to when you have people on this forum who can’t hold down a good topic.

Exactly this!

Thank you.

0 Likes

Also I’ve emailed Jon, although I don’t know if I’ll get a reply either, but I’ve suggested we add Google’s reCAPTCHA to the forum to help with spam. I’ve also offered to do it myself if I can get access.

0 Likes

Honestly, I don’t think Jon doesn’t know how people complained about ST on this forum.
Bugs, lack of supporting, too few APIs, slow development, not open-sourced, and whatever…
Does Jon change how he works on ST over these years?
No, in my opinion. (He could have something more important to do.)

So, what people could/may do to make things in practical?

• Report bugs (however you cannot fix it officially, maybe another 6 months or never)
  • Write/Use plugins to make ST work in you way via pretty limited APIs
  • Leave ST

By the way, I think PRs in the official Packages’ github repo get pretty messy now.
It would be full of merge conflicts (or be neglected)… lol

0 Likes

Jon doesn’t owe you a thing.

0 Likes

[quote=“swifton”]

What’s even more telling is that limetext’s development and communication is more dead than Sublime’s :wink:

0 Likes

If writing a decent text editor was easy, there’d be more of them. I’m sure I’d be burnt out too.

0 Likes

I believe Jon is busy setting up a company doing… iOS games. I wish there was official word so people could make a proper judgement on whether or not to purchase a product that is no longer maintained (I assume)

0 Likes

[quote=“braver”]

[quote=“swifton”]

What’s even more telling is that limetext’s development and communication is more dead than Sublime’s :wink:[/quote]

I disagree. They’re working via github, and there’s a bunch of activity there.

0 Likes

[quote=“Smirow”]
I disagree. They’re working via github, and there’s a bunch of activity there.[/quote]

No there isn’t. Last blog post was July last year, no commits or activity on issues since April. ST is doing better than that.

There is this expectation to not just write code, but also be super active on blogs, forums and respond to support requests, etc. You need to be motivated for that as well as financially covered. But it still doesn’t say anything about the quality and usefulness of the tool. The negative energy in this forum also doesn’t contribute in any useful way. People can go vent somewhere else.

0 Likes

[quote=“braver”]

Bullshit. github.com/limetext/ You really should learn how to navigate github. You just looked at the webpage repository, not the code repos’

Nobody cares about blog posts when you can see the code flow.

0 Likes

[quote=“Smirow”]
Bullshit. github.com/limetext/ You really should learn how to navigate github. You just looked at the webpage repository, not the code repos’

Nobody cares about blog posts when you can see the code flow.[/quote]

Hey, no need for the language.

0 Likes

[quote=“jbrooksuk”]

[quote=“Smirow”]
Nobody cares about blog posts when you can see the code flow.[/quote]

Hey, no need for the language.[/quote]

?

0 Likes

[quote=“Smirow”]

[quote=“jbrooksuk”]

Hey, no need for the language.

?[/quote]

I misquoted, sorry.

0 Likes

[quote=“Smirow”]
I believe Jon is busy setting up a company doing… iOS games. I wish there was official word so people could make a proper judgement on whether or not to purchase a product that is no longer maintained (I assume)[/quote]

Where did you get this information about him working on iOS Games? I sometimes search for info about JPS to see if he’s active somewhere else and find nothing.

If he has lost interest in this product maybe he’ll sell it or open source it. I have no problem paying for the product.

0 Likes

The issue is that the topics get out of hand far too quickly and threats are made over private messages. I’m not having that. People need to remember this is just a tool, not a cult.

0 Likes

I know Sublime will resurrect. Maybe jps is thinking in a better way to implement new features and a better API for plugins. The great fail is that he gives 0 clues about what he is doing, but that’s his personality. I think that complaining in this forum is not the way so I will stop doing this. Just wait and use the 3095 build of ST for the moment.

0 Likes