Sublime Forum

[ST3] [OSX-10.9] Freezing from index_files with large folder

Edit 2: I have found a consistent way to stop & reproduce the issue.

Okay, so turning “index_files” off instantly fixes the issue. Turning it back on makes it happen again.

That being said, I would ideally like to leave it on. Also, the contents of the “Index” directory is actually quite small - only 66KB index for 265 GB of data in 56,000 files. It is not growing though.

Perhaps the file indexing is not working correctly when the number of files is way too large?

I’m going to switch from my whole user area to just my Projects directory. That is 4.5 GB data in 55,000 files, so that may be better.

Also, I just saw this message in the console:

Any recommendations as to how I should manage my project view? I work on a large number of fairly complex projects.

[size=150]Original Message[/size]

Hey,

I’m experiencing a strange problem with ST3, which started occurring about 2-3 weeks ago. I do not recall it starting immediately after an update or plugin install, but cannot be totally sure.

The entire program is freezing on a very regular/frequent basis. The freezing will last around 0.5-1.5 seconds and then everything will continue as normal.

No error/warning messages appear & nothing actually breaks - it’s just incredibly irritating.

It is not just writing text which has problems. Examples of where I have experienced it:

• typing in the editor

• moving the caret with my arrow keys

• moving the caret by clicking

• opening and closing folders in the sidebar

• typing in the command palette

• waiting for modals to open having clicked something in the menu

• pushing the cursor to the top of the screen to see the menu bar

I have not experienced this with any other application on my Mac.

I’m running OS X 10.9.1 on a very high spec MacBook Pro w/Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013.

I have tried removing all packages one by one in the command palette, then removed package control itself, then went into my folder system and cleared the Packages, Installed Packages, Index and Cache folders. I then fully quit (CMD+Q) ST3 and reopened it. No luck - still the same.

Edit: I have also tried deleting the entire Sublime Text 3 directory in Application Support while ST3 was closed. This did not resolve the problem.

It is worth noting that I keep the root of my user area in the project sidebar. My user area contains 265 GB of data in 50,000 files, so I would not be surprised if it was having problems with that.

The process currently running in Activity Monitor shows this info:

It is periodically using a lot of CPU though, which seems odd as I am not currently doing anything with it - only two files open, plus my usual folders. Occasionally it drops to 0.1%, but then goes straight back up to 60-100% (max on my laptop is 800% from quad core HT’d).

Memory usage is not particularly notable.

Energy use is very inconsistent - it’s changing a lot. It is going between 0.1, but up to 100.

Hopefully I’ve provided enough detail to make this easier. I can provide a process sample if that’d help.

0 Likes

I’m encountering the same thing… Such a pain. My console is flooded with “number of files to index exceeds sanity limit, bailing out”. Every user interaction is laggy as ST3 tries to reindex everything then bails out.

This is clearly caused by any populated node_modules folders. But since we can’t exclude a directory from indexing… Bummer.

Related to sublimetext.com/forum/viewt … =2&t=14886

0 Likes