Sublime Forum

ST3 Freezing up on anyone else?

I’m having the same freezing problem on Ubuntu 64bit. I downloaded the evaluation version and was considering to register the software, but this constant freezing is a show stopper for me. Looks like a process called plugin_host is consuming 100% of cpu time.

0 Likes

I think the same happens to me, but only while using one specific plugin SideBarEnhancement…
so far i noticed, and only if operations on the folders are done that involve a refresh of the folder diplay, for ex 4-5 items removed,
created an issue on the plugin developers github, so far no respons…
https :// github.com/titoBouzout/SideBarEnhancements/issues/312

also created a topic in hopes of getting more help investigating the problem:
https :// Sublime_text 3 freezing if a large project is loaded

Issue can be reproduced, using Ubuntu15.10 and Subl 3103 or the new B3111

0 Likes

I think i might have a solution… check out the conclusion on this thread:

0 Likes

Sublime Text 3 was freezing at me right off the bat, no matter how many times I tried removing it and installing it over again. I uninstalled Wamp (Apache, MySQL, PHP) and Git - same problem. Then I tried installing Sublime Text 3 32-bit (x86), and IT WORKED. Apparently it was a x64 problem for me. Now Sublime and everything else are running just fine. I hope this helps someone else!

0 Likes

Had freezing problem in sublime text 3 on its startup in Ubuntu 14.04 and Ubuntu 16.04. Removing of ~/.config/sublime-text3 directory with all contents fixed the issue. So looks like the problem was in some plugin.

0 Likes

There was an issue between the built in JavaScript syntax and the third-party MarkdownEditing package when viewing or indexing some markdown files. Dev build 3125 added a workaround for this and added some functionality for inspecting the indexer.

Edit: Beta 3126 is out also.

0 Likes

Probably you are right. Mr. prubini87
I´m still doing some tests, but it seems that the 32bit version is work fine now on win10 64bit.
i will come back late on after some other tests done.

0 Likes

I still have the issue and I’ve already removed the MarkdownEditing plugin.
Lately the main process of the sublime (subl) take 100% of a core and the GUI becomes unresponsive.
After a while, 1 to 5 minutes, all return normal until the next freeze.

Fedora 25, Sublime Text 3 3125 Dev.

1 Like

Same problem here. Have gotten rid of the plugins noted. Opening a 600 line compiled CSS file is almost impossible and takes a good 20-30 seconds. The same with a 74 line Sass variables file. PHP and js files are normal. I am using the 64 bit version. If the Sass file is open when I open ST3, it will take 20 seconds before its usuable.

Can I uninstall and install the 32 bit without losing all my plugins and settings?

0 Likes

On Mac.
cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/Sublime\ Text\ 3/Local
ls -ln
rm Auto Save Session.sublime_session

This will create a new session and eliminate whatever was causing the app crash. I would also disable and enable plugins one by one to check if that’s causing any crashes.

1 Like

Tried with a fresh install (moved the Sublime Text 3 folder elsewhere) and the problem is still present.
Downgraded to an older version and in two weeks I had no freeze.
my problem is not plugin related.

Thanks,
Frank

0 Likes

I followed what artem328 did and moved my ~/.config/sublime-text3 to ~/.config/sublime-text31 then started sublime again…Still frozen…So I deleted the new ~/.config/sublime-text3 directory and copied ~/.config/sublime-text31 back to ~/.config/sublime-text3 AND IT WORKED

0 Likes

Same exact thing happens to me.

0 Likes

It may be a problem with circular symbolic links. I just started having the freezing problem so I added my build folder to the "folder_exclude_patterns": in the Sublime settings and it seems to be ok now. I think it was causing circular indexing that would never end. Somehow, over-night, my build structure must have added a symlink that completed the infinite symlink loop when I built some package or something from source.

0 Likes

Confirmed! If I open up that project and comment out the excluded folder, then resave my settings, I get instant freezing again in the very moment I click the save button. The indexer must be stuck infinitely indexing.

0 Likes

I couldn’t even open Sublime Text after this. I had to force kill it by running xkill from a terminal then clicking the window to close, then I had to manually go to ~/.config/sublime-text-3/Packages/User/Preferences.sublime-settings and open the file in an alternate text editor to fix it. I then had to restart my computer and open up Sublime again. Now that I have excluded the culprit folder again in this settings file Sublime Text 3 opens and works just fine!

Perhaps there is some way for the developer to identify circular symlinks and not follow them indefinitely?

PS here’s my Sublime settings file now:

{
	"color_scheme": "Packages/Color Scheme - Default/Monokai.tmTheme",
	"folder_exclude_patterns":
	[
		".svn",
		".git",
		".hg",
		"CVS",
		"build_folder_with_circular_symbolic_links*" //THIS IS IMPORTANT! OTHERWISE THERE ARE CIRCULAR SYMLINKS OR SOMETHING AND SUBLIME WILL CONTINUALLY CRASH!
	],
	"ignored_packages":
	[
		"Vintage"
	],
	"rulers":
	[
	],
	"tab_size": 4,
	"theme": "Default.sublime-theme",
	"translate_tabs_to_spaces": true,
	"word_wrap": "auto",
	"wrap_width": 0
}
0 Likes

We currently do this by checking the inode information of a folder, and we don’t catalog the contents if we’ve seen it before. The reflection of this in the UI using the Default theme is a folder with a chain link on it.

The question is, what is going on with your machine that a symlink is resulting in different inode numbers so that we are infinitely cataloging a recursive structure. That is, assuming what is going on.

0 Likes

What is you Operating System and Sublime Text version? You can run these commands:

uname -or
lsb_release -irc
0 Likes

uname -or
4.4.0-103-generic GNU/Linux

lsb_release -irc
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty

0 Likes

Your views helps me a lot for resolve my issue. thank you

0 Likes