Sublime Forum

ST3: EasyDiff

EasyDiff will now utilize SubNotify for messages if installed. You can disable SubNotify via the “use_sub_notify” setting. It will default back to “sublime.status_message” if SubNotify is missing or disabled.

0 Likes

Howdy,

Thanks for the reply. What I’m trying to do specifically is compare 2 files, they can be text or csv,(excel would be great, but I know I can’t :smile: )

1. Compare the files, they typically have just a single column as I paste them from excel. The values are usually something like computer names, user names, etc, most times there’s no space in between characters, but perhaps a comma, and I can remove the spaces but not the comma if it were a list of names.

2. I am not “great” at using the visual diff option as I’m not clear on what it shows, I know the color red is if it’s in 1 file but not the other and then green if it’s in the 2nd file but not the first, but I could be wrong on the color scheme.

3. I want to see the differences, but then export the differences/save them. What I need is to have the differences from either file, so right now I have a file with 1000 entries, and 1 file with 400. I want to find the items that exist in both files, and then come up with a list of them and then save the results, then I want to remove the items from the file with 1000 entries and save that list. I’d also like to be able to save the file with 1000 entries and “highlight” them or “notate” them so that I know that exist in the file with only 400 entries.

0 Likes

Sounds like you need to process your files by writing a specialized script. Easy diff is for viewing diffs, or opening files in your favorite diff program. Easy diff does not process diff results or do anything of the type, nor will it ever. Easy diff can technically diff whatever content you have, as long as you convert it to some text format. If you can process a file type as a text output, it can diff them, but I do not at this time provide any file type to text conversion.

0 Likes

Installed your EasyDiff but it doesn’t work for selections or clipboard. Any special things I have to set up first?

Thanks
Alexandru

0 Likes

I don’t know unless you can provide more information, it seems to be working for me. Often, if a plugin doesn’t seem to work after installation, my first advice is to restart Sublime first.

If you are still having issues, the best way to get help is probably to file an issue on the repository: https://github.com/facelessuser/EasyDiff. If you do, make sure to provide as much information as you can.

1. Any errors in the Sublime console.
  2. System info.
  3. Your EasyDiff settings.
  4. Step by step information to reproduce your issue.
0 Likes

Thanks, it works now.
Maybe it was the restart of SublimeText.
Although I also did that and shortly after restart it didn’t work.
After hours now, it works suddenly.

0 Likes

It’s tough to say what happened to cause it to stop working. If it stops working and you see some errors related to EasyDiff in the console, those are the types of things to capture. With that said, sometimes, the issue can be elsewhere, indirectly related to a given plugin.

0 Likes