Sublime Forum

ST3 cursor word movement change

I’m seeing a change in behavior for ctrl+left/right navigation in Sublime 3 vs Sublime 2. This is on Linux with default settings on everything (and those settings match between ST2 and ST3), so it feels like a behavior change. Specifically, say you have the following text, with the cursor at the pipe:

|“foo+bar”

And you hit ctrl+right, you’ll move through the following positions:

|“foo+bar”
“|foo+bar”
“foo|+bar”
“foo+|bar”
“foo+bar|”
“foo+bar”|

And then you’ll get the reverse sequence of those positions if you repeatedly hit ctrl+left.

However, in Sublime 3, I’m seeing the following sequence:

|“foo+bar”
“foo|+bar”
“foo+bar|”
“foo+bar”|

And then the following when you follow up with ctrl+left:

“foo+|bar”
“|foo+bar”
|“foo+bar”

…which skips a lot of the positions I find useful when navigating. Setting the left/right bindings to “subwords” as opposed to “words” gets close to the old behavior, but unfortunately stops on CapWordBoundaries as well.

Is there a way to revert the behavior to act like Sublime 2 (which feels a lot more natural to me)?

Thanks,
John

1 Like

Take a look at Restoring ST2 cursor move by word behaviour in ST3 on OS X - it should give you enough to go on

1 Like

Awesome, that does it, thanks! Just to throw it out there… it might be worth making this a setting that controls this behavior, so it’s more discoverable in (say) Default.sublime-settings.

0 Likes