Sublime Forum

ST3 Build 3118 crash when using

Hello,
from several days Sublime Text crashes many times… below the OSX log

Sublime Text 3 Build 3118 - OSX 10.11.6
25/07/16 14:42:24,508 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.sublimetext.3.16352[474]) Service exited with abnormal code: 1

This is the console log at startup:

How can I get more information about the reason of the crash?

Thanks,
Ionut

0 Likes

ST3 spell checker confused by punctuation

You have a good number of plugins and dependencies installed. I would try disabling a whole bunch and see if the crashes continue.

You can use the approach of a binary search (disable half of packages at a time) to figured out which is causing the crash.

0 Likes

Everytime I read this suggestion, I’m wondering why Sublime Text doesn’t offer a switch to launch without any third-party packages loaded (equivalent to atom --safe). Any chance we’ll see this feature in the future?

4 Likes

I would add to this and say safe mode should not only load with no plugins, but force all views to use default color schemes, themes, and syntax so you don’t get a billion popups from Sublime saying “XXX doesn’t exist” or whatever it says. There is nothing more annoying in Sublime than for whatever reason a theme, scheme is set that Sublime cannot load, and every time a view takes focus you spawn a new popup. You spend your time closing popup after popup just trying to select a different scheme.

Maybe it shouldn’t force the default schemes, but handle warnings better related to missing schemes, themes, and syntax. Maybe warn once and then stop. I just imagine opening Sublime in safe mode and getting hit with thousands of error popups.

2 Likes

Thank you wbond. so, there is not a detailed log file about the crash? :sob:

0 Likes

Wouldn’t it be easiest to ignore all packages and user settings? If I want to report a Sublime Text issue, I want to rule out it’s caused by a third-party package or the user’s settings.

0 Likes

You may need to play with your user settings to replicate a bug. You are disabling all plugins, but you still may need to play with the Sublime default settings to reproduce the scenario.

0 Likes

Yes!! I guess a big portion of bugs are fro 3rd party packages. And in most bug reports the reporter has not tested with all packages disabled. This should be an easy task to do and would improve the quality of bug reports. If this hasn’t been implemented, do it already!

0 Likes

There is a package dedicated to providing this and more functionality, but we haven’t implemented any features for disabling and re-enabling packages yet, for example with a binary-search-like troubleshooting mode for trying to detect an offending package. Contributions welcome.

This functionality is so fundamental that it should probably be included by default, though.

2 Likes