Sublime Forum

ST3 and column selecting with keyboard on Linux

Hi!

For a long-long time I did not get working column selection with keyboard on Linux. Finally I asked help on AskUbuntu . It was good idea, I got it working. I bet I had same result asking here too.

Now I’d like to give some feedback and ask some questions more about topic.

First, ST3 documentation states that on Linux keyboard shortcuts for desired actions are

Ctrl+Alt+Up
Ctrl+Alt+Down

Actually, they are
Shift+Alt+Up
Shift+Alt+Down

I understand the documentation could updated for that, it took me really much effort to got it working.

Another problem: those shortcuts are not defined in Default (Linux).sublime-keymap, so I had no oppurtunity to change them. And because they are not defined in that file, I did not figure out, what is the internal command, so I could define shortcuts myself.

My questions:

• where are those shortcuts defined?
  • why they are not defined in Default (Platform).sublime-keymap?
  • what is the internal command for column selection?

TIA,

Gunnar

0 Likes

The commands are indeed in the Default key bindings file:

{ "keys": ["alt+shift+up"], "command": "select_lines", "args": {"forward": false} },
	{ "keys": ["alt+shift+down"], "command": "select_lines", "args": {"forward": true} },

Possibly you were unable to find them if you search for them as shift+alt instead of alt+shift. In situations like this, you can open the Sublime console with View > Show Console (or the key binding for it) and enter sublime.log_commands(True).

That will make Sublime log the command that it’s executing to the console along with it’s arguments. Using that you can do a sort of reverse-lookup by looking for the command in the key bindings instead of the key.

The logging will remain turned on until you quit sublime or do sublime.log_commands(False) in the console.

0 Likes

After discovering that documentation got wrong shortcuts, I did not controlled bindings in the light of new info. Thank you for doing it for me and clearing situation!

0 Likes