Sublime Forum

ST2 & 3, OSX: CheckBounce, a spell-check plugin

It is not syntax specific, but is easy to edit:

/Users/HOME/Library/Spelling/LocalDictionary

0 Likes

[quote=“holene”]I downloaded the new update, and it now works! Thanks =)
Is there an exception-file for language syntax, or may I make one? For instance when you write LaTeX you wouldn’t want the spellcheck to react to \textsc etc.[/quote]

[quote=“lawlist”]It is not syntax specific, but is easy to edit:

/Users/HOME/Library/Spelling/LocalDictionary[/quote]

Yup. There’s no way that I can see for me to feed words to the OS X spell-checker on a per-syntax basis, unfortunately. Adding the commands to the checker’s local dictionary is your best bet.

I’ve picked up some problems with the keystroke commands, so please bear with me as I try to work out the bugs. I have some other work to do tonight, but expect to be able to devote some time to it this weekend.

0 Likes

[quote=“phyllisstein”]To take your questions in order:

• This package does not integrate with Sublime’s built-in spell-checker, so you’ll get the best results if you only use one at a time. I don’t have any plans to do anything as elaborate as modify Sublime’s dictionary files based on the spelling results from CheckBounce.

• Again, no integration with the built-in checker, so changing the dictionary files Sublime looks at won’t do anything for this package. OS X’s built-in spelling system is designed to automatically identify a document’s dominant language, however, and it seemed to work reasonably well in the limited testing I did, picking up on—and suggesting corrections for—German and French.

• I’ll look into this later today and post an update to Github tonight.

• OS X stores its learned words in ~/Library/Spelling, I believe, and I think you can edit the file that’s there if you really want to. Though I’ve never tried.
    [/quote]

Thanks for your answer, I downloaded the new update and it seems to work better. I still had some problems with the toggle on/off which does not seem to always work but I did not identify a specific context in which it fails (sorry)

One question about the grammar checking : is there a way to have a clue about why a specific sentence is green boxed ?

ah that’s too bad … the standard “spell-checking” manage to work that way (even if the cursor is not on the word I can right click on the word). I think there is two point that will prevent me to use the package for now (even I am really looking for the “add word to dictionary” functionality)

1. the fact that I have to click on the word before right-clicking
  2. the fact that once I right click, I do not have directly the suggestions (like in standard checkspelling) but there is one more step rightclick -> suggestcorrections -> suggestions

PS : Maybe my two remarks will be obsolete if I get used to the keyboard shortcuts …

0 Likes

[quote=“GerardLambert”]
Thanks for your answer, I downloaded the new update and it seems to work better. I still had some problems with the toggle on/off which does not seem to always work but I did not identify a specific context in which it fails (sorry)

One question about the grammar checking : is there a way to have a clue about why a specific sentence is green boxed ?

ah that’s too bad … the standard “spell-checking” manage to work that way (even if the cursor is not on the word I can right click on the word). I think there is two point that will prevent me to use the package for now (even I am really looking for the “add word to dictionary” functionality)

1. the fact that I have to click on the word before right-clicking
  2. the fact that once I right click, I do not have directly the suggestions (like in standard checkspelling) but there is one more step rightclick -> suggestcorrections -> suggestions

PS : Maybe my two remarks will be obsolete if I get used to the keyboard shortcuts …[/quote]

I agree that having to click on the word isn’t optimal. I’ll post a feature request for some kind of on_mouse_down event, but John being a busy man and all, I can’t guarantee that it’ll be implemented. The grammar checker should show information about the error in the status bar when the cursor is within an error region, but I warn you that OS X’s grammar checker isn’t too astute, and so it’ll often be something like “Consider using – or — instead of – or —” (super-annoying if you’re writing in LaTeX) or “The word ‘foo’ may not agree with the rest of the sentence,” sans any explanation why.

I’m going to really dig into the thing this weekend and see if I can’t resolve the issues with toggling and a few other lingering bugs. FYI, most of the package’s features are working rather better in Sublime Text 3 than in ST2, I suspect because ST3 is better at handling complex threading.

0 Likes

Hi again! I’ve been using CheckBounce in ST2 since I got it working, and I have to say I’m quite satisfied :smiley: Though the plugin seems really slow in the following situations:

1. When typing the plugin realises (too) fast that the word in typing progress “is wrong”. It generates the green/yellow-ish box, that lags seriously behind when typing, it extends the box to the next letter way slower than I’m typing. This applies to all other boxes as long as I’m typing – they all keep skipping one and one letter, slower than I type.
  2. When triggering the look-through (ctrl+alt+a), it practically freezes for several seconds. Sometimes so long that the Apple “waiting” animation (spinning, colourful wheel) appears.

I’m on a Macbook retina 2.6i7 16GB ram, and I’m not used to things being unresponsive – though it should be said that behavior nr 2. is something I’m experiencing more and more of with ST2 using incremental find and goto-anything in “larger” document collections (I’m writing my master thesis and I’m having about 10 tabs with a couple of hundred lines each open). Is this a behaviour you recognise?

0 Likes

Hey there! Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I’m glad that the package is mostly working! I have to admit that I haven’t really put it through its paces in ST2, since I’ve now completely migrated to ST3 for day-to-day use (i.e., whenever I’m not testing a package), but my inclination is to think that your assessment is right: it shouldn’t be that slow. I’ve come to suspect that ST2 doesn’t handle threading quite as well as ST3, and that could certainly be a part of the problem; however, it’s also totally conceivable that some of the hacky backwards-compatibility measures I took are coming home to roost. I’ll set some time aside this weekend to do a quick review of the code; once finals start winding down, I expect that I’ll do some more drastic rewriting. I’ll post info about any changes here, but it has also been added to Package Control, so whatever updates I manage to push should show up there as well.

0 Likes

lovely & sublime… kudos.

0 Likes

Hi,

I’m not able to get this package to work with my LaTeX files. I tried installing via control package and manually (the zip file). I use ST2. The Spellcheck is enabled, but nothing happens.

What could be the problem?

Thanks.

0 Likes