Sublime Forum

ST on WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux)

Hi,

For the unfamiliar, Windows 10 introduced Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL). Accessing Windows file system from WSL is strait-forward, while accessing WSL file system, VolFs, from Windows application is not possible, although it’s clearly visible. WSL file system is located in %LOCALAPPDATA%\lxss.

Modifying files on WSL is possible only through bash shell (read: arcane *nix editors). If I open a file from WSL in ST and save it, it wont be accessible any more inside WSL.

Thinking about it I first thought to write some scripts, but thinking more it turned out it would just complicate things. Another thought was to run SSH daemon in WSL session and access it though ST SFTP plugin. This turned nice, although for larger projects it would involve unnecessary duplication of same files on same PC.

I opened this thread so that we can share possible workflows for ST and WSL. Please write your ideas, for our mutual benefit.

0 Likes

Hi, I am using WSL too, but my problem is how to connect bash.exe to sublime. I installed TensorFlow on WSL, and write python files in sublime, when I want to run it, I need to open bash.exe, and python the file.
But I wonder if there was a more convenient way.

0 Likes

you need to install a ‘X.Org Server’ on your windows, like ‘Cygwin/X’,
Then setup it on lxss by exporting variable ‘export DISPLAY=:0’,
And setup sublime to lxss by ‘apt-get install sublime’

0 Likes