Sublime Forum

ST and SM window resizing lag - FIXED in 3182

i’m not sure if this is related to the latest updates to both ST and SM but they both suddenly really lag when i resize the windows with the mouse

when i grab the window border (any one) and drag to resize the mouse will move with my hand but the window follws after by about half a second or more - it’s noticably slow and irritating, and like i said, only started happening in the 3179 and 1072 releases respectively

if i go back to ST 3176 all is well again and the window resizes with the mouse movement, same with a previous version of SM before 1072

they also both eat more CPU than they did by quite a large amount

any help or advice would be appreciated
thanks

0 Likes

which OS is this on? I’m not seeing any problems on my Windows 10 or Ubuntu Mate 18.04 installations

0 Likes

on Mac OS Mojave - it doesn’t happen on my Windows or Linux machines either

0 Likes

nobody else seeing this issue on Mojave?

[edit]
i just tried installing 3180 but the lag is even worse if anything - grab the title bar and move up a couple of inches then wait literally a second or two for the window to follow it - completely ridiculous
[/edit]

0 Likes

Have you tried resetting to a freshly installed state? I doubt it will make a difference, but I am wondering if there is something going on with the gpu_window_buffer setting.

0 Likes

is there some way to reset that setting without removing everything? i kinda have it set up just as i like it, and on all versions prior to 3179 it worked perfectly

gpu_window_buffer is “auto” btw, and changing it makes no difference although 3180 with false makes the effect even worse, and true makes it just “really really bad”

0 Likes

Yes, you move the data folder, as described at http://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/revert.html. Just be sure to move it back after testing.

Also, have you tried using Tools > Developer > Profile Plugins, or checked to see if indexing is running? I suppose that is unlikely since you said Merge is having the issue also.

I’ll dig a little on our end to see if something in our build infrastructure changed that could cause something like this.

0 Likes

thanks much - i’ll try the suggestions

[edit]
ok i tried that and still have the lag on 3180
[/edit]

0 Likes

did you manage to find any reason why this lag is happening?

it makes ST and SM really crappy to use and i really don’t want to switch to another editor after all this time
:frowning:

0 Likes

so are you not doing anything on this? it makes updating impossible for me on my macbook pro 2015 15" as resizing any window in SM or ST is so laggy and delayed it is almost unusable

it’s like the window border is attached to the mouse cursor with an elastic band that has to stretch far before it starts to pull the window border with it

truly very very bad

0 Likes

should i consider this issue closed due to you guys complete lack of seeming to care about it? ever since you changed the build process it has become so slow and laggy as to be unusable on my macbook pro 15" 2015

is this the expected behaviour now and just “tough luck” is the official response?

it’s cool if so, i’ll just ask for a refund for sublime merge and find different tools to use for editing as well

just would be cool to have an actual answer from you guys

thanks

0 Likes

FWIW, Sublime Merge never changed build systems, it’s always been cross compiled. We did change some compiler flags around the 1072 timeframe (-Os to -Oz), but in my rendering benchmarks that gave improved performance, not worse.

I haven’t seen any similar reports from others, nor have I seen this issue on any of our test Macs. There is some additional information you could provide:

• Exactly what hardware and version of macOS are you running?
  • Assuming you’re running on a MacBook with a discrete GPU, is there any difference between running on the integrated vs discrete GPU? You should be able to use gfxcardstatus to explicitly switch between them
  • Are you using the integrated screen, or an external one?
  • Are you using the trackpad, or an external mouse to resize?
1 Like

yes sorry SM has always had the same problem but since i use it less than ST i don’t care as much

the change in ST happened when you started supporting dark mode on Mojave - with the release before that (which i had to go back to) the window resize is instant and follows the mouse pixel for pixel so to speak

hardware as follows:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), i7 16GB, Intel Iris Pro
i do not have a discreet GPU
it happens with both the trackpad and magic mouse
it happens on both external and internal screens, and when only on internal screen

i do not have anything weird installed that plays with the core of the system, just regular full-stack web-type dev, i do not run any VM’s and i do not see this with any other app at all

1 Like

I’m also experiencing this exact issue plus ST is overall laggy since Mojave. The screen resize the best and most extreme example, it’s just ridiculously slow and laggy. But scrolling in a project file list is also not as smooth as usual.

Currently working on a big release for work and it’s become so frustrating that I’ve started using VS Code instead.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15", Mid-2015) i7 CPU, 16GB RAM.
No discrete CPU (Intel Iris only).
On trackpad and external mouse.
On both internal and external screens.

It worked fine on High Sierra, same system.
Installed Mojave (fresh install) and ST3 b3180 - hasn’t been right since.

0 Likes

Are you using the regular theme, or the Adaptive theme? Is there a difference when you switch from one to the other?

0 Likes

No difference for me between themes

0 Likes

no difference for me either

0 Likes

I haven’t been able to replicate the issue.

One of the items we’re currently working on is a new rendering backend, which I suspect will eliminate this issue as a side effect.

1 Like

quick update…

I just got a new MacBook Air with 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD - I installed ST 3180 as the very first app and the lag is there immediately … same with SM 1087

I just cannot imagine how you are not able to reproduce this as it is now happening on both of my MacBooks

0 Likes

I never noticed it previously, because SM always launches to fit the screen, but I do see the lag when resizing. I have a feeling this has something to do with Git History sidebar, if I vertically resize window to hide 90% of the history bar then horizontal resizing is very smooth. But once I fully expand window vertically, and all history is rendered resizing is very slow.

I’m at the build 1084 at the moment, theme is Light (I’m currently evaluating), macOS theme is Dark. System info is below.

System Version: macOS 10.14.1 (18B75)
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro13,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: 250.0.0.0.0

Please let me know if there is something else useful that i can provide.

0 Likes