Sublime Forum

Some folders cannot expand in "Folders" tab when connected via SSH

In both builds 3175 and 3176 I have the following problem. I work in Windows with remote drive mounted via SSHFS Manager. Some folders like results/<migrations, static, templates> are actually folders but I cannot expand them! See the image attached.

“Refresh folders” doesn’t help at all. There were no such problems before May.

Any ideas how to fix this? Thank you!

0 Likes

Those directories are duplicates (usually symlink/junction to another folder in the project). If you right-click, there should be an option to reveal the link source.

0 Likes

No, these are regular Unix folders. Here’s what I see when I right-click on it:

0 Likes

That is rather odd. See, that icon is only used when we detect a duplicate folder (via device id and inode number). And when we do, it is usually because the file is a symlink to another folder in the project.

What are the contents of your console? That should tell us what inode is being duplicated. It almost sounds as if sshfs isn’t populating correct/accurate device id/inode data.

0 Likes

Here is that folder with subfolders “migrations”, “static”, “templates”. I see nothing special here.
Please tell me if any other information can help!

0 Likes

Can you provide the contents of the Sublime Text console? That will list the duplicate device id/inodes.

0 Likes

Here it is:

scan: /P/parkrun/probeg_auth/migrations has been seen before, skipping (using inode) previous path: /P/parkrun/editor/migrations inode: 932628955
scan: /P/parkrun/probeg_auth/templates has been seen before, skipping (using inode) previous path: /P/parkrun/editor/templates inode: 982347077
scan: /P/parkrun/static/results has been seen before, skipping (using inode) previous path: /P/parkrun/results inode: 2001578372
scan: /P/parkrun/results/migrations has been seen before, skipping (using inode) previous path: /P/parkrun/editor/migrations inode: 932628955
scan: /P/parkrun/results/static has been seen before, skipping (using inode) previous path: /P/parkrun/static inode: 2322770241
scan: /P/parkrun/results/templates has been seen before, skipping (using inode) previous path: /P/parkrun/editor/templates inode: 982347077
scan: /P/parkrun/results/views has been seen before, skipping (using inode) previous path: /P/parkrun/editor/views inode: 1918728990
scan: /P/parkrun/editor/templates/editor has been seen before, skipping (using inode) previous path: /P/parkrun/editor inode: 1935016413
scan: /P/parkrun/static/admin/js/admin has been seen before, skipping (using inode) previous path: /P/parkrun/static/admin inode: 1156371652

It looks very strange. I have no symbolic links in my project at all. For example, /parkrun/probeg_auth/migrations and /parkrun/editor/migrations are completely different folders.
So it looks like Sublime (or SSHFS?) consideres as equal any two folders with equal names.

0 Likes

Possibly? Perhaps try downloading the Expandrive trial and see if that suffers the same issues?

0 Likes

ExpanDrive seems to work much faster, and I see no problems with expanding folders, thank you!

0 Likes

That makes me think the bug lies in SSHFS in some form. Thanks for confirming!

0 Likes

Hello,
I put that here for people who have the same issue and want to downgrade Sublime Text to the previous build while waiting for a fix (from ST or WinSshFS)
Build: 203143 win64.

I hope we’ll get a fix to this issue soon. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Folders show a strange icon and can't be opened

I could avoid the problem by creating multiple folder configuration entries in the project configuration.

Could you plz add a logic that parses the namens into a nested folder structure across entries, pretty please? ^^

0 Likes

Expandrive does nothing when trying to connect (ExpanDrive v6.3.0, Windows10 current). The logs have no information about what went wrong. Used same pubkey configuration as in WinSSHFS. Can’t confirm if it even uses the correct pubkey location as it does not show it after the FileBrowser. The interface does not feel robust/trustworthy. Also i have no clue why it would need administration access to run, does start anyway. Could not confirm that it works well with sublime text 3 since it did not work.

Edit: That was the trial. Do you use that tool in production or was this a tool you found and used to make a quick test?

0 Likes

I’ve used it fairly extensively in the past, although these days pretty much all of my work goes through git and ansible, so I don’t need to mount remote filesystems.

If you are having issues connecting via Expandrive, I would contact their support.

0 Likes

I was just trying to figure out if there was a better tool for that part of distributed dev. Couldn’t figure out where the problem was. I think i will try to use VSCode in the meantime while working on larger codebasis, the same folder name bug is a showstopper. Still i adore the searchfunction and quick jumps in sublime thought.

0 Likes